PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Adding A "ScreenTip" or Pop-Up Message When A User Hovers Their Mouse Over An Image??

jershie
08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
I have a worksheet within Excel and there are numerous links that have macros assigned to them. Question is, I have an image (of a question mark) and I have it currently linked to a help file on our network. However, I'd like when the user hovers their mouse over the image (before activating the macro) for a screentip (aka tooltip in VB) to pop up essentially telling them what they're about to select. I don't believe I can insert it within the code I have below (because it is only run after the user clicks), but any ideas how I could incorporate a screentip/tooltip over an image in excel (WITHOUT using a hyperlink!)

Sub Info_Help_Warning1()
'
' Info_Help_Warning1 Macro

Application.WindowState = xlMaximized
Workbooks.Open Filename:="\\link\share\XXX.xls", ReadOnly:=True
Sheets("Warning1").Activate

End Sub

TomSchreiner
08-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Why WITHOUT using a hyperlink?

TomSchreiner
08-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Let me expound upon my previous reply. The reason I ask is there be may some other reason that you will not use a hyperlink besides being unable to run an assigned a macro concurrently. There are ways to run code other than assigning a macro. Irregardless, you are going to need a workaround hack of some sort. I'll work up an example contingent upon your reason for not using a hyperlink...

jershie
08-12-2008, 08:55 AM
In other words, I don't want to use the hyperlink function ALONE in excel! I know you can link something (by right-clicking and selecting hyperlink) and then creating a screentip. Sorry, should have been more clear!

TomSchreiner
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Example File (http://home.fuse.net/tstom/ScreenTip.zip)

Here is one option that may or may not fit your design.

I drew out a shape and added a hyperlink to it. The hyperlink points to a named range located in a hidden column. Using the selection change event, you can then decide which code to call. Download the example.