PDA

View Full Version : Prevent Calculation Running While Saving

f2e4
08-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I have 3 sheets full of formulas that only need to be refreshed / calculated when I run a specific macro.

However, everytime I save my file, excel begins the calculation process, and i'm left sitting there for a few mins while it does its thing.

Is anyone aware of a way of preventing excel doing this?

I thought it would be as simple as:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)

Application.Calculation = xlManual

End Sub

This doesn't even work

Bob Phillips
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Idon't think it should be recalculating on save, my little test didn't. Are you sure you are changing something just prior to saving it.

Usual - can you post yur workbook?

f2e4
08-14-2008, 01:15 AM
hey bob,

You already have the worksheet. Still tweaking this never ending resource management tool

f2e4
08-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Ok,

So i realised that this is not a problem limited to the worksheet i am working on at the moment.

If you go to Tools - Option

Under the 'Calculation' tab, there is the option to 'Recalculate before save'.

This only become active if you have set application.calculation = xlmanual

Is there a way to set this feature not to recalulate by default rather than having to go to Tools - Options.

This is mainly for the benefit of the other people that will be using it, otherwise I would just do the Tools option.

mdmackillop
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
hey bob,

You already have the worksheet. Still tweaking this never ending resource management tool

Bob has answered 11k+ posts. If you are referring to one of your earlier posts, please make this simple by adding a link to it. I personally don't keep an indexing system to all the files I've downloaded.
Regards
MD