PDA

View Full Version : Use calendar to call macro

OTWarrior
08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Not having used Outlook for macros and the like, I am still getting around how to use them, so please bare with me.

Is it possible to set up a calendar event (a reminder, as you can do for meetings and the like) to run a macro?

The reason why is to call a macro that checks the filesize of an Access database at the same time every morning, and if it is over the required size, to display a message. I don't have admin privileges to the system.

Is this possible? (I have the code to check the filesize up and running, I just need to automate it for 9:30 every day)

Mavyak
08-18-2008, 09:06 AM
...so please bare with me.
Perhaps after a port of wine with some smooth jazz.

Can you set your code up in an autoexec macro that self-closes from a different database, then create a task in windows to open that database everyday at 9:30am?

OTWarrior
08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
...and I spent a few moments thinking of the correct spelling of that word...whoops :P

Unfortunately not, the task scheduler for windows is disabled on these computers, which is why I was thinking of using Outlook to call the macro. Shame really, as your idea sounds really good.

Mavyak
08-19-2008, 08:09 AM
This goes in a class module named "RemindersEvents":
Dim WithEvents m_colReminders As Outlook.Reminders

Sub Class_Terminate()
Call DeRefReminders
End Sub

Public Sub InitReminders(objApp As Outlook.Application)
Set m_colReminders = objApp.Reminders
End Sub

Public Sub DeRefReminders()
Set m_colReminders = Nothing
End Sub

Private Sub m_colReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Outlook.Reminder)
Dim strMsg As String

strMsg = "This is from a reminder event!"

If ReminderObject.Caption = "Test Calendar Item" Then
MsgBox strMsg
End If
End Sub
This goes in the ThisOutlookSession module:
Dim m_remindevents As New RemindersEvents

Private Sub Application_Startup()
m_remindevents.InitReminders Application
End Sub
The reminder caption is the subject of the calendar item you create. Replace the MsgBox line with the code that checks the size of the Access database.

Note: This code fires when the reminder fires so set the appointment for about 10:00am and the reminder for 30 minutes prior to get the code to fire at 9:30am.

Enjoy!

Mav

Mavyak
08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
P.S. I totally stole the code above from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155701(office.10).aspx (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155701%28office.10%29.aspx)

Listing 11.12