PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Point And Figure Chart

nitzbar
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Does anyone have VBA code / Excel add-in to generate a point and figure chart in excel ?

Andy Pope
08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Maybe this,
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng8.htm

nitzbar
08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Andy... thanks for the link.... Just a couple of questions.. I'm new to VBA so couldn't get the intricacies of your code, but you seem to be feeding in 'arranged' share prices into columns D &E . Any suggestions on how I can tweak it to use a live feed of data and parse it out?

Thanks.

Andy Pope
08-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I guess that would really depend on how you have your live data feed set up.

You would need to provide a lot more detail.

nitzbar
08-21-2008, 03:46 AM
I will be getting live price data into a spreadsheet as and when a trade occurs. I am looking at plotting a point and figure chart in real time based on the streaming prices.

Thanks.

Andy Pope
08-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Okay, but that is no more information than you posted before.

As you can tell by the date of the file I have not used this file for many years.
The input apears to be the High and Low price of share.

You need to transfer you information from feed cells to charting cells.

nitzbar
08-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Hmm.. well.. from what I understood... the prices seem to be arranged into 'high's and 'lows' from which the charting is done. I don't quite understand how those high and low prices are derived from a continuous stream of unsorted prices...... I guess that would have probably been mentioned in the example that you made this for....and since its an old file. you may not recollect it...

Is there anything specific that you need to know about the input / output ???

Andy Pope
08-21-2008, 05:23 AM
The site where I read about P+F is still active
www.stockcharts.com/education/how/analysistools/pnfcharts-print.html

It mentions that the time periods are not so relevant, just that you know the high and low within that period.

So I not sure how your realtime data fits in with the chart.

I guess you would need to capture the price at 2 points in time. One of the values will be the high value the other the low. If the price is the same it is not used.

If your feed is updated by code then you can add code to copy the values.
If it is done via DDE you will need to run code using the OnTime method as I done think DDE updates fire an event on the worksheet. Although I could be recalling incorrectly about that. If so then code in the change or calculate event will be required.

Bob Phillips
08-21-2008, 06:49 AM
If it is done via DDE you will need to run code using the OnTime method as I done think DDE updates fire an event on the worksheet. Although I could be recalling incorrectly about that. If so then code in the change or calculate event will be required.

Your recall is good Andy!

nitzbar
08-22-2008, 08:59 AM
hmmm... so do i understand this correctly ? By using the on-time method, will I have to set up the procedure to grab data at periodic intervals ( eg 1 sec. 5 sec) and compare it to the previous value ? .. as opposed to doing it in real time, whenevr data comes in ???

nitzbar
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Andy.... Regarding the link that you posted,that refers to specific type of point and figure chart that only takes in daily highs and lows.. the one i am trying to build will use intra-day data as the input,,, checking the latest value against the previous to see if an X,O, Multiple X, Multiple O or a blank character needs to be plotted.... the rest of the logic is the same....

am trying to figure this out.. let me know if you have any further suggestions..... thanks a lot.. Andy... Bob...