PDA

View Full Version : Who is the other 1%?

Anne Troy
03-05-2005, 02:11 PM
We know who the first 1% is.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/May/os.php

Paleo
03-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi Anne,

did you notice it dont makes 100%? Its 96% plus all those 0% that doesnt seen to make 4%.

Anne Troy
03-05-2005, 03:03 PM
They used =Round, Carlos. LOL!!

Paleo
03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
I see but a 4% round is a HUGE round:rotlaugh:

Here you may find another very usefull statistics: http://www.aicpa.org/pubs/jofa/nov97/tech.htm

Like this one:

Anne Troy
03-05-2005, 03:20 PM
That will be changing. I just taught our EPA (government) advanced Excel. So that number should go up, LOL!!

Paleo
03-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Great, here its growing too as I am conducting seminars on it, so lets go get 80%:thumb

Brandtrock
03-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Great, here its growing too as I am conducting seminars on it, so lets go get 80%:thumb

Just don't let the Department of Justice hear that! :rotlaugh:

Not sure Bill wants another go around with them. :think:

Paleo
03-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey but free choice of software is still in our freedom of thoughts isnt it? So why to use an inferior software (open source) instead of a superior (MS)?? (just make Mr Gates reads this :rofl )

Ken Puls
03-05-2005, 03:50 PM
So why to use an inferior software (open source) instead of a superior (MS)??

This is something that I never thought I'd ever see in a techie forum, I'll give you that! I like Excel, and some other MS stuff as well, but jumping on open source as a blanket statement... it seems short sighted. I think we should revisit this in a couple of years and see what the playing field looks like. :yes Lest you think I'm nuts, look at Firefox's increasing market share... only time will tell for certain though.

Anne Troy
03-05-2005, 04:07 PM
What's firefox? ROFL!!

shades
03-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Wasn't that film with Clint Eastwood and the Fighter he stole from the Russians? ;)

Ken Puls
03-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Wasn't that film with Clint Eastwood and the Fighter he stole from the Russians? ;)

It would seem so! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083943/) :rotlaugh:

Paleo
03-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi Ken,

I was just joking, but anyway I dont think Firefox will overcome IE specially because of what is coming soon like IE 7. I do use many open source software too like: Sharp Develop, Argo UML, Web Matrix, Open Office, and so on but just to know how them work and be able to compare them with MSs softs.

The truth is that there is light on either side of the tunnel! I just choose MS because its the one that helps me most to make money.

johnske
03-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi Ken,

I was just joking, but anyway I dont think Firefox will overcome IE specially because of what is coming soon like IE 7. I do use many open source software too like: Sharp Develop, Argo UML, Web Matrix, Open Office, and so on but just to know how them work and be able to compare them with MSs softs.

The truth is that there is light on either side of the tunnel! I just choose MS because its the one that helps me most to make money.

Here's another reference to Open Office, been seeing a few lately... Dunno why (apart that it "looks" like the MS version of Office) - I tried this a year or so ago and found it very limited and gave lotsa crashes.

Anyone tried EasyOffice? (Available Here (http://www.e-press.com/demo_downloads.html)) It's free-ware and got lotsa good things on it (the dictionary & thesaurus in particular are rippers) but the VBA in their workbooks is limited when compared to MS and it may take some getting used to because of the "appearance" of tools etc. One advantage is that you can use a simple inbuilt function to convert things to PDF (acrobat) form.

Regards,
John

Paleo
03-07-2005, 04:52 AM
Hi John,

does it actually support VBA? Open Office supports only Basic which is very similar but its major problem, at least I consider, is that its object model is way too complex and just to insert a value you asked by an InputBox in a cell, which vey easy in excel, you need to write several lines of code.

johnske
03-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Hi John,

does it actually support VBA? Open Office supports only Basic which is very similar but its major problem, at least I consider, is that its object model is way too complex and just to insert a value you asked by an InputBox in a cell, which vey easy in excel, you need to write several lines of code.

Hi Carlos,

It's been a while since I had it installed, but I'm pretty sure that it does. From what I can remember I think, I didn't look too hard at it 'cos it had fewer functions than MS.

It's worth looking at though, there are lots of other features like text-to-speech, its own an inbuilt zip, and so on...

Seeing as it's free it's excellent value for money, it doesn't take up much memory, and can be run parallel to MS Office

Regards,
John :thumb

Paleo
03-07-2005, 05:09 AM
Great I will install it in a virtual machine for testing. Thanks!:thumb

Ken Puls
03-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Let us know, Carlos, I'm curious! :yes

Zack Barresse
03-07-2005, 09:44 AM
What's firefox? ROFL!!:eek:

johnske
03-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Let us know, Carlos, I'm curious! :yes

Yeh, I'm curious to know what he thinks of it too... :dunno Haven't heard from him for a cupla days, maybe playing with all the toys on it - Maybe I'd better re-install mine and try n see if I can find out wot's kept him so quiet

Paleo
03-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi John,

sorry, I was not having time to post but I will install it tomorrow and do the tests.:thumb

Wow, its a 92,5 Mb download :eek:

Paleo
03-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Its the slowest download I have ever done!!!!!

3,58 KB/Sec when I am used to download at 80 KB/Sec. I just hope the soft is good : pray2: : pray2: : pray2:

Finally, download finished!! After 6 hours and 10 minutes.