PDA

View Full Version : Data structure VS Database

kunguito
08-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,

In a relative big Access database I enter through quite a lot of information.
I created a set of nested classes of collections to handle un undetermined amount of objects.

Here's my question: It's rather philosophical. The classes somehow are a data representation of the tables. Is it stupid to use them or should I attack the database directly on every register I enter?

CreganTur
08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I created a set of nested classes of collections to handle un undetermined amount of objects.
Do you mean that you created Class Modules and are running forms and/or other processes based on these custom classes? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Is it stupid to use them or should I attack the database directly on every register I enter?

My question is what are you doing with the data, and are you the only person manipulating the data, or is this a database created for Users? Also, are you only entering new records, or are you entering new records and manipulating/sorting/deleting/editing said records?

If Users are involved, then for the sake of your sanity DO NOT let your users EVER touch the tables themselves- they will screw something up faster than you can blink, and it will take you days to locate and fix the problem!

If it's just you entering new records, then I personally find working with a data entry form a lot more efficient, and friendlier, then entering data directly into the Table's datasheet. This is a personal choice.

Not sure if my ramblings answer your question or not...:think:

kunguito
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi,

I think I wasn't very clear before, let's try it again.

It's a multiuser application and nobody "messes up" with the tables. Everything is done via UI. My question is how to handle the UI.

I have developed a series of classes containing collections of objects of other userdefined classes that are more or less equivalent to the structure of database tables, at least in a functional way. So once all the information is entered and stored on the data structure I then update the database, loading the data structure on the database.

The only advantage I see is that this way I can choose when I want to update the database, and that changes are not made on the database, but somehow I fell to be cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.