PDA

View Full Version : Get values from excel in other machine

jagan
08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I would like to know whether any possibilities for getting the values from the excel running in some other machine to my machine.

For example i need to put some calculation based on the value in machine1 workbook1 sheet1 A1.

I have tried using netDDE but it crashes the excel most of the time.

I have tried using winsock also but it wont help that much.

The values in the cells will be changing time to time so i need to get the live data and do the calculations according to that.

Kindly help me for this problem.

mdmackillop
08-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Can you map a drive letter to a shared folder on that PC? Then you can simply use the file path, as one does with a server based file.

jagan
08-30-2008, 01:51 AM
I would like to know whether any possibilities for getting the values from the excel running in some other machine to my machine.

For example i need to put some calculation based on the value in machine1 workbook1 sheet1 A1.

I have tried using netDDE but it crashes the excel most of the time.

I have tried using winsock also but it wont help that much.

The values in the cells will be changing time to time so i need to get the live data and do the calculations according to that.

Kindly help me for this problem.

This is the situation.

I have online trading software running in different systems connected in a network. say some 3 systems

i have imported the live values through DDE and other means to display the live values. Based on these values iam doing some calculations and they are in sheet "Results".

Similarly the three systems are running simultaneously and each system i have the "Result" sheet in different work books.

Finally I need the display in a fourth system by merging all the values from the 3 systems.

For Eg. in the fourth system i want to put some calculations like =Maximum(\\Machine1\Workbook1\Result!B6,\\Machine2\Workbook1\Result!B6,\\Ma chine2\Workbook1\Result!B6)

To display the maximum value in Cell "B6" of Sheet "Result" from all the three machines.

I need any user defined formula that can fetch the data from other machines.

TomSchreiner
08-30-2008, 02:27 AM
How to use an Excel RTD server with DCOM (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285888)