PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Web Pages Print Clipped Off

Becky Bush
06-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Hope someone can help me. My boss prints from Websites constantly. Whenever he prints out information the page is clipped off on both sides of the page so that not all of the writing is on the print out. He needs to have the graphics and the full page printed so that he can keep for research purposes. I was told this is a Web site problem and not our printers (Canon3200 & HP Laser Color Jet 4500N). We have the most recent print drivers and we use WindowsXP, MS Word 2002, MS Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2800.1106. We have all of the lastest technology, but we can't figure out how to have web pages print so we can read all of the document.

Can anyone help me? Please let me know

Becky

Anne Troy
06-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I suggested Becky post here in hopes to automate getting the web page into Word as a method to control the margins.

I'm not sure, but I don't think we can help her regarding just getting them to print correctly.

JOrzech
06-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Some pages print correctly in IE and some in Netscape, depending on what they've been built for. My staff has also encountered the same problem. Sometimes changing the font size can rectify this problem. In IE, View, Text Size, and make it smaller. See if that helps.

Also, make sure all IE patches are current.

Kelly
06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Immediately two ideas come to mind...

Neither of these two ideas are perfect, but I have only given the matter about 30 seconds of thought so far....

1. In Internet Explorer, you could go to File, then Page Setup. From the Page Setup dialog window, you can do two things: you can change the margins, and you can select "Landscape" rather than portrait under Orientation. I would think that selecting the Landscape option might solve a lot of problems.

2. Also using Explorer (although there are probably similar options in Netscape, however I cannot personally attest to them), you could choose File, Save As. Then save the web page as "Web Page, complete," which will save not only the html part but also all of the graphics to your computer. Then you could open the saved file in Word. Sometimes the formatting gets a little wacky, but you can at least be assured that the full contents of the text and the images will print.

I'll keep thinking about this, and I will return if I get any better ideas.

Best of luck!
Kelly

Oh wait!! I have a third hairbrained idea. You could use the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, then open Paint (or something similar) and hit Paste to paste a bitmap image of the screen into the Paint program. Then you can shrink it and play around with it as an image file, if you wish.

Of course, I would only use the Print Screen technique if I were utterly desperate, but I do admit it has occassionally saved the day for me.

Becky Bush
06-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks Kelly! I have tried the re-formatting of margins, which was 1 of several problems on my boss' computer. However, now it cuts off more. He did not like the idea of changing to landscape (not sure why).

Thank you for you time and consideration.

jamescol
06-18-2004, 07:25 PM
This is a known issue with IE. Since you are running an older version, you likely just haven't installed the patch containing the fix. The current build of IE6 is 6.0.2900.2906.

Go to Windows Update and Office Update and install the recommended updates. This should resovle the problem.

Cheers,
James

JOrzech
07-10-2004, 07:35 AM
If the updates don't work -

Suggest either getting SnagIt (http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp) (http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp))
or OpenOffice (free) (http://www.openoffice.org/) and print to PDF.