PDA

View Full Version : How to span text between table cells in Word

roland
09-07-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm using Word 2003. I created a Word form with several pages containing tables with two columns for a user to fill in (page sized side-by-side cells). The cell sizes have fixed heights and I do not want the cells to expand to the next page.

It occurs often enough that in the right side cell the user needs more space for report writing than can fit in the cell on page 1. The user has to watch as he/she reaches the end of the cell lest the typed material disappears out of the cell. As the user reaches the end of the cell space he/she then has to move the insertion point to the right side cell of the next page.

Is their an end of cell indicator that I can test for with a vba program such that when reached can move the insertion point automatically to the right side cell on the next page? I'm a newbie to vba; can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

macropod
09-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi Roland,

I've just answered this in the microsoft.public.word.tables newsgroup:

There's no way to detect that you've reached the 'cell marker' as you type. You could do that after the formfield in the cell has been exited, then use a macro to cut & paste any overflow text to a new formfield on the next page, but this gets complicated if the user then goes back and starts editing the text in any of the 'linked' fields.

If you want the user to have the freedom to enter however much text they need, and to be able to edit that text later on, you probably need to set the cell row height to 'at least' instead of to 'exactly' and allow Word to manage things in the normal way.

roland
09-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks macropod,

I appreciate the help. Your solution sounds the best and easiest. And btw that was me you responded to in the microsoft newsgroup.

Thanks again

macropod
09-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi Roland,

I suspected as much ;)