PDA

View Full Version : Searching for tutorial book or CD on VBA

Kathy
03-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I was wondering if there was a book or CD tutorial that I could learn the Visual Basics in a step-by-step manner. Recently I purchased "Mastering Word Made Easy" from TeachUcomp, Inc hoping it would cover VBE, but it doesn't. I really would like to learn to use this. Could you recomend something?

Thanks
Kathy

Howard Kaikow
03-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I was wondering if there was a book or CD tutorial that I could learn the Visual Basics in a step-by-step manner. Recently I purchased "Mastering Word Made Easy" from TeachUcomp, Inc hoping it would cover VBE, but it doesn't. I really would like to learn to use this. Could you recomend something?

Thanks
Kathy

See the list of Word VBA books at http://www.standards.com/index.html?WordVBABooks.

Kathy
03-08-2005, 06:07 AM
Will do...Thanks!

fumei
03-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I can recommend two books. One specifically on Word, the other a big book on VBA. I have no connection to either the authors, or to the publishers.

The first is: Word 2000 Developers Handbook by Guy Hart-Davis. 1270 pages. Published by Sybex. It may be out of print. I got mine at a half price computer book store. Although is for Word 2000, 98% still applies to Word 2002. Some new things in 2003, but believe me, if you get through that book, you will become an expert. Huge amount of code, and in-depth information on the object model.

The second is VBA Developers Handbook, by Ken Getz and Mike Gilbert. 1073 pages. Also published by Sybex. Gigantic source of information. Hundreds of extremely useful functions on the CD. For example, ever thing you can think of to do with manipulating strings is written out as functions. It also gives superlative line-by-line explanations of what each Sub or Function is doing.

Again, I have absolutely no connection to these books or authors. These two, if you can get through the 2,200 pages, will have you well on your way.

The other recommendation, is to go into Help, and type in Word Object model. Make a repeated study of this. It helps.

Lastly, use the Object Browser in the VBE. It holds a vast amount of information. It is underused by most coders.

Kathy
03-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Great explination on these books. I will difinately look for the one for WORD. I appreciate your time!
Many thanks,
Kathy :friends: