PDA

View Full Version : versioning software for access

susand
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
I am looking for a software that I can use to control the versioning on my access databases, plus store re-usable vba code. I am struggling to find details about this sort of software on the web.

All information gratefully appreciated.:help

CreganTur
09-16-2008, 08:00 AM
versioning
what exactly do you mean by this?

plus store re-usable vba code
Access already provides Modules for you to store code, and if you make the sub/function Public then you can call it from any procedure anywhere- even from a procedure in a Form.

You cannot make a sub/function public if it is behind a Form- any code placed in a form module can only be used by the corresponding form. DOes this provide any clarification?

susand
09-16-2008, 12:54 PM
what exactly do you mean by this?

Access already provides Modules for you to store code, and if you make the sub/function Public then you can call it from any procedure anywhere- even from a procedure in a Form.

You cannot make a sub/function public if it is behind a Form- any code placed in a form module can only be used by the corresponding form. DOes this provide any clarification?

I develop databases for a small number of companies and now have some one giving me some help. I need to control exactly what version db is being used and provide re-usable code for this additional person. We currently use modules in our databases.

I was hoping to find some sofware that would contol certain shared network drives on the server and also use that as a code store for re-usable code.

Does that help?

stanl
09-17-2008, 06:46 AM
If you separate your code from the tables, which is usually recommended for Access a cheap method is to construct an XML recordset (saved as .adt binary format) to hold your 'code library' and version information. This recordset interacts with a hidden admin table on each of your database-only .mdb files. I have used this method with remote sites to update features, house system-wide SQL code for ALTER TABLE, CREATE TABLE and other fairly sophisticated stuff.

You can make it as simple or complicated as you like. .02 Stan

CreganTur
09-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Have you looked into the Database Replication that's built in with Access? You have to have a reference to the Microsoft Jet And Replication Objects Library in order to use the replication methods, but I'm pretty sure it will accomplish exactly what you want.

I have very limited experience with replication, but I'm certain you can find some great resources via Google.

Also, the book Access 2007: Programming By Example With VBA, XML, And ASP (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Example-Wordware-Database-Library/dp/159822042X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215459970&sr=8-1) has a great section on using replication (chapter 18 to be exact).

Slyboots
09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I'd start with Helen Feddema's automated system for backing up Access databases. There's a discussion of it and link to the files (free!) here:

http://office-watch.com/access/archtemplate.asp?current