PDA

View Full Version : MEMO Field

kbsudhir
09-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Hi All,

I have a filed called conversationindex which is of "MEMO" type in the table.
1. This field is the primary key field
2. In this field, Iam capturing conversation index of the mails coming to my inbox.

Now I have another table with same field & field same as the previous one.

Now I have generate a query using both this table joining on conversationindex.

But I am getting the below error "Cannot Join Memo, OLE & Hyperlink Object (Assigned.ConversationIndex=Outlook.ConversationIndex)"

Its necessary that I have memo as the field type of the conversation index field as the conversationindex tend to be very long indeed also this values in conversation index is alphanumeric in nature.

Now, the problem is how to create a query..???

:doh: :doh:

Thanks
Sudhir

CreganTur
09-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I hate to tell you that there isn't a workaround for this in Access that I'm aware of. You cannot join fields of the Memo data type- period. It's because those type of fields lack an index, which is requried for the JOIN process in SQL.

kbsudhir
09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks Randy,

But now I am in a fix..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As.

1. I can't use long since the data is alphanumeric.
2. I can't use text as data is too long for text.

Is this means my project is came to an deadend..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooops.

:( :(

CreganTur
09-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Well, maybe you need to rethink your design a little.

For instance, using a Memo field as a Table's PK is very unconventional. Perhaps you could use an auto-number fields as your PK? Or add in a field to stand in as your PK?

Also, you mentioned something about having that memo field in a second table- if it contains the same data, then why have it in 2 different tables? Put your new PK into that table instead and then maybe you could join on the PK and use that join to pull in the memo field. This may work, since the error you ran into is due to having a join on a memo type field.

Might help:dunno

asingh
09-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi,

True....MEMO fields cannot be joined.

Best option, find another field (create one someone, based on some logic), and use that as the primary key, for the joins. If you could give us a rough idea what the data is, we might suggest a PK. Or you could try multi-way primary key. Access allows a 10-way PK combination.