PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible??

nepotist
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
We have a software where we input certain numbers and do a analysis and get the result in turn.

Now this is what I have in mind.

I would create a data base in access and I would have a software file for each record. but based on the future conditions The input numbers change. and this is what is updated in the database. and also the result of analysis from the software.
Is it possible for me to update the input numbers in the software file once the user updates it in the access database and also to pull the result from the analysis after then numbers are update and up it back in the database.

I thought it was possible but wonder how to i relate the textboxes in the software to fileds of the record.??

Any clues or direction for further search would be help full thanks

OBP
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
What type of Output File can your "software" provide.
Access can Import quite a few formats.

nepotist
09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
the software can give a report in text format.

CreganTur
09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
the software can give a report in text format.

Access can read .TXT files. It's very easy to import them by hand... but if you want help with how to automate this, then we need to know if they are delimited .txt files, or if they are fixed width .txt files.

Also, Access can write to existing .txt files or create brand new ones. Typically I do so via the FileSystemObject method. I'll post details and example script after learning what type of .txt file we're dealing with.

nepotist
09-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Well I am not sure of format , The other thing is that the software files are available for the existing conditions. and I would have a user form to update the future conditions.Son once the user updates the future number the access should be able to open the existing software file and update the input number and grab the result out of it.

IF I am guessing right you had a idea of updating the report and the opening the report using the program, well the program cannot import the report that is the bad part. I have attached the format of te report with this please find.

Thank you for your help

I wasnt able to upload a txt file so i changed the extension to doc. please change it back again to .txt to view the actual file.

CreganTur
09-22-2008, 11:27 AM
FYI: you can always zip any file and upload that way.

Whew... that .txt file is neither fixed width nor delimited. I hate to say this, but right now I've got nothing on how you can get Access to read this thing...:think:

nepotist
09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Thought The extension is fast way :D
Not a problem. I appreciate you looking in to it though.

Thanks for help me out, and Incase you figure it out Let me know:D