PDA

View Full Version : Training program

eteezy
09-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm trying to find an easy way to take employee numbers and tie the to the employee first and last name for a training record. The employee would scan their badge when they arrive for the training. The scan only scan their employee number. I would need the code to compare the code against a table and populate the correct first and last name for each training. I thought about using Excel but it seems Access may be a better way to get this done. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

asingh
09-21-2008, 03:38 AM
You want to populate the employee first and last name..or the training first and last name...or both sets.?? For employee names, you would need a table which would compromise of three fields : employee code, employee first name, and employee last name. The employee code can be used as the join field to populate the names.

eteezy
09-21-2008, 07:25 AM
There would be a table for each different training. When an employee shows up for the trainging they will scan a barcode on their badge which will populate a field in that training table with ther employee number. With the populated field I want to have some process run a comparison against another table that I willl have populate with employee number in one column, and first in last name in the other. When the match is found the first and lastname are copied into the training table next to the employee number. There will be up to 30 different trainings. So I should be able to run a report for individual training to find out who attended. I hope this helps. Also could provide an example of how the join would work. It seems like I could create forms for all the trainings that would populate the tables.

CreganTur
09-22-2008, 05:21 AM
You could accomplish what you want by using a SQL Update query. This type of query will add new data to an existing table based on specified criteria.

You can setup the query so that it updates your training table with the first and last name, as well as the barcode number. For the SQL statement's WHERE clause you would use the Barcode number so it pulls the correct employee's info.

eteezy
09-22-2008, 07:23 AM
CreganTur,
Thanks for the reply. I'm a novice when dealing with SQL. Could you give me a few quick pointers on setting that up? What I currently have now created in Access is:
Tbl:EmployeeInfo
EmployeeID
First Name
Last Name

Tbl: Trainers
Name1
Name2
Name3

Tbl: Training
LockOut\TagOut
Confined Space
Harness
Fire Safety
Chemical storage

I figured I could create a form with drop downs to select the type of training, and trainers. The time and date would autopopulate. However it seems I would still need to create one table to house all of this information: That way I could run the report against that table for specific dates or trainings. I would also need to get the barcode scan to look at a particular table and match the employeeID and tranfer the data to the table.

If you believe this would be easier with SQL please provide me some pointers and I will examine that route as well. Thanks for you help.