PDA

View Full Version : Getting documents outside Access

nathan2314
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi All :hi:
I'm fairly new to Access but am trying to get up to speed to build a database for a customer. One of the features that they are wanting is be able to get associated documents, notes, reports of various kinds that would be tied to a persons record in Access. So Access would have each individual and alot of information about the individual plus links of somekind pointing to all these outside documents, notes, reports etc. etc..
Whats the best way to implement this in Access.??
Appreciate any help!
:yes

CreganTur
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
It depends some on what type of documents you're working with. If they are word documents, then you can Embed them using OLE (it's an available Data Type in Table Design View).

The other options is to save the filepath to these documents as a hyperlink. Then you can follow the hyperlink, which should open the document.

Someone else may have a better suggestion- I don't deal with external documents often.

Slyboots
09-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Access includes a data type "Hyperlink", which let's you link to a file or document outside the database. Your general plan should be to have them set up a folder for each employee, which would contain documents, notes, etc. They can then add hyperlinks to as many of the outside files as they like.

Check Access help for Hyperlinks to read about it. Any specific questions? Ask here.

S

Hi All :hi:
I'm fairly new to Access but am trying to get up to speed to build a database for a customer. One of the features that they are wanting is be able to get associated documents, notes, reports of various kinds that would be tied to a persons record in Access. So Access would have each individual and alot of information about the individual plus links of somekind pointing to all these outside documents, notes, reports etc. etc..
Whats the best way to implement this in Access.??
Appreciate any help!
:yes

nathan2314
09-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the input!! I think the hyperlinks thingie will be a great option as each individual will have ALOT of information outside Access.
Thanks Again!
:rotlaugh: