PDA

View Full Version : Word Templates

Hoopsah
09-25-2008, 03:41 AM
I am looking to create letter templates that will be acessed by a number of people. I will want certain area of text to be standard and non editable and other areas to allow editing and free text. Can this be acheived and how?

lucas
09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Just one idea.....others will offer fields but I prefer to use a userform.

Protect your document
set up a userform that allows input to specific bookmarks.
when you hit submit have the document unprotected and data is inputed to specific bookmarks.
protect the document.

Example attached

lucas
09-25-2008, 08:22 AM
You can use formfields and protect the document.....if you like using formfields.

fumei
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Formfields require protection in order to work, but you do not need formfields to protect a document.

You can have ZERO formfields in a document, and still protect it.

Protection freezes protected Sections from ANY editing. This applies to using Continuous Sections.

In other words:

On Page 1 you could have the top part (oh, say half the page...but whatever) separated by a Continuous Section break, and protect (freeze) the first Section, but not the second.

The first part (Section) would not allow any user edits, the second part (Section) would allow user edits....but...

Note however, that protecting the document does freeze other aspects, regardless of whether a section is protected, or not.

For example, even in the unprotected Sections, you can not:

Format > Bullets and Numbering
Format > Borders and Shading
Format > Drop Cap
Format > Text Direction
Insert > Page Numbers
Insert > Comment
Insert > Diagram
Insert > Textbox
Insert > Bookmark
View > Header and Footer
View > Outline
Tools > Word Count
Tools > Track Changes
Tools > Template and Add-ins
Tools > Customize

What you actually do depends on your requirements. With good, thoughtful design, yes, you can most likely do what you seem to want. I would agree with Steve in that, most likely, a userform that determines (by logic) the final structure of the document is the better way to go.

aquapearl
11-05-2008, 11:47 PM
A huge collection of Word Templates are presented here to help our visitors in their daily tasks. Our collection includes Business Management Word Templates, Marketing Word Templates, School Templates, Home Templates, Greeting Cards Templates, Flyer Templates and many more. The best thing about this site is that everything is free for everyone to download.

check out this www wordtemplates.org/

fumei
11-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I would beware of this site. It has a strong bias for the use of OfficeReady. In fact, some templates require OfficeReady to be installed, or if OfficeReady is not installed a number of "features" are non-functioning. So the comment about "free" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Some also make heavy use of the Registry, which in itself does not mean "bad", but I remain wary of so-called "free" templates doing things I may not be fully aware of.

At face value, having a letter template is a good idea. Control of the structure is also a good idea. Understanding the process and building your own is an even better idea.