PDA

View Full Version : Solved: cycle through rows

talytech
09-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I want to write a program that will append data from the specified cells into the corresponding fields in my database table. I have the code that connects to the database and the code that runs the append query but what I don't know how to do is make the program loop and run the same code for each row that has data. For example .. I want the program to start at row 13 and run the code below. Then go to the next row and run the code. ... and continue until the next row has no data.

qdfAddRequest = "INSERT INTO tblKeyRequests ([SOL#], RequestorName, UserId, DateRequested, keysRequested, created, modifiedby ) " _
& "SELECT '" & solnum & "' AS solnum, '" & fullnm & "' AS rqstor, '" & usrId & "' AS usrId, '" & reqstd & "' AS datereqsted, '" & totkeys & "' AS totkeys, '" & created & "' AS created, '" & ModifiedBy & "' AS createdby;"

dbsKeys.Execute qdfAddRequest

Note: the variables have already been defined.

Bob Phillips
09-25-2008, 09:58 AM
lastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 13 To lastRow
'set you variables
'e.g. solnum = Cells(i,"D").Value
qdfAddRequest = "INSERT INTO tblKeyRequests ([SOL#], RequestorName, UserId, DateRequested, keysRequested, created, modifiedby ) " & _
"SELECT '" & solnum & "' AS solnum, '" & fullnm & "' AS rqstor, '" & usrId & _
"' AS usrId, '" & reqstd & "' AS datereqsted, '" & totkeys & "' AS totkeys, '" & _
created & "' AS created, '" & ModifiedBy & "' AS createdby;"

dbsKeys.Execute qdfAddRequest
Next i

talytech
09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow .. thank you so much .. that worked.

talytech
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
XHD, how can I retrieve the total of rows filled in starting from the row 13?

Bob Phillips
10-01-2008, 09:21 AM
LastRow - 13 + 1

talytech
10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
This is what I have:

lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
lastrow = 14 + 1

MsgBox lastrow

That returned 14 but it should be 2. Rows 14 and 15 are filled in. Row 16 is empty. I need to know how many rows have been filled in counting from row 13.

RonMcK
10-01-2008, 11:32 AM
talytech,

I think you may have misread XLD's formula:

lastrow - 13 + 1 (take number of last row used, subtract 13 (first row you are counting from) and add 1 since that first row counts)

So if lastrow = 14 you should have: 14 - 13 + 1 = 2 (your expected answer).

Cheers,