PDA

View Full Version : Old Tricks, New Site

Demosthine
09-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Hello Everyone.

My name is Scott and I live on lovely Phoenix, Arizona. Especially with the coming of Fall and Winter, it is a beautiful time of year. There is nothing better than grabbing a cup of coffee and sitting on the porch during a monsoon storm. All while having the laptop nearby for the late-night programming urge! Oh, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. That one where you eventually try to go to sleep, but just toss and turn because that "solution" is just a few more keystrokes away. Of course, those few keystrokes turns into this improvement or that upgrade. Next thing you know, it's five in the morning and your alarm is going off in the next room!

Anyways, I've been programming off and on for about 15 years now. Believe it or not, I started on an Apple IIe. Yep, back when we had those big ol' floppy disks that you had to insert in order to do anything. Ah, the good ol' days. Anybody around here remember QBasic?

I've done work in a lot of areas of the computer world. From building systems from scratch, to upgrades and repairs, to network installations, I think it's safe to say I've done it all. Ask questions at will...

My primary language is and has always been Visual Basic. It has been among the most universal language for years because with minimal work, you can go from stand-alone executible projects, to application libraries, to client and server side scripting for web pages, to enriching the Microsoft Office programs. I am also fairly experienced in HTML, Asp, VBScript, and SQL Server.

I have not truly gotten into .Net yet, primarily because the only place I have access to the .Net language is at home. It is not usable in my work environment, nor will it be anytime soon, unfortunately. From previously working with C++ and JavaScript, I have found .Net to be very intuitive so far.

Good luck to all and I hope to meet you all in posting soon.
Scott Dennison

CreganTur
10-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey Demosthine, where's Locke? (been wanting to say that for a while now:tease: )

Glad to have you as a new member- it's only been a couple of weeks and I've noticed you've helped out a lot of people already.

Demosthine
10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Hey there Creagan. Glad to see a fellow Ender's Game fan. I absolutely love that series. They need to make them into movies. But for some reason, the username Demosthenes has always been taken in virtually every service I have ever signed up for. It's a conspiracy, man!!!

In answer to your question, Locke is my alter-ego and he is currently involved more in the .Net aspect of programming. He's trying to design my new website at www.demosthine.com (http://www.demosthine.com), which will hopefully include some very good explanations of the more advanced ideas that I've mentioned here. It is in the very, very early stages and will take awhile to get going, seeing as he's upgrading his language knowledge as he goes.

Have a great night.
Scott