PDA

View Full Version : Task pane

ericc
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi all

I have a question on Office 2003.
With this version appear a "Task pane" (Ctrl+F1) on the right side of a word document by example.
Some time it's named "Getting started" or it' used also to provide help or for managing styles ...

I would like to know if it's possible to develop an application with VBA to reuse this "Task pane" ?

My idea is to trigger a database during text edition, to retrieve some text snipset from the database. In a certain way, as the Help works: A search box allow to retrieve some text in the database based on keywords.

ericc

TonyJollans
09-29-2008, 08:49 AM
You can create custom Task Panes, but not with VBA.

ericc
09-30-2008, 09:14 AM
You can create custom Task Panes, but not with VBA. Ok thanks
After some research on the web, I understand that you must install an add-on to Visual Studio
But it's not available for VS2008 Express :(

Do you know a way to mimic this feature in VBA ?
My wish is to make an add-in to be used in Word but also in Excel.

ericc

TonyJollans
09-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I think a UserForm is your only option - and what you outline should be possible.

ericc
10-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Hi Tony

Excuse my ignorance, but I try to do it with a userform, and I have 2 problem.

1?) I can't stick the userform on a side of the window to make it a side-panel

2?) When the Userform appear, it takes the focus and it's impossible to write something in the word document.

I have some knowledge in VBA, but I must admit that I am not a "guru" :confused2

ericc

TonyJollans
10-01-2008, 01:59 AM
You can position a UserForm wherever you want. Although you can't dock it, there is nothing to stop you resizing the document window so that there is no overlap. I admit it's not a perfect solution and there are many permutations to consider with multiple monitor displays and the like, but I think it's the best you can do. I would take it one step at a time - you can always tweak the positioning of the display when you have the logic working.

Since Word 2000, you have been able to show non-modal userforms (ones that don't hog the focus) - just add vbModeless as a parameter to the Show method.