PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2003 / 2007 Compatibility Problem?

blinkme323
10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone,

I created a program for our company in Excel 2003 using several VB macros that worked great. We are now converting over to Vista / Office 2007 and all of the sudden the program is being extremely laggy. Calculations are slow to respond as well. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is occurring / what I can do to correct it?

Thanks for the help

georgiboy
10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Just a thought

I had the same issue at my place of work and found that 2007 is slower at calculating formula in sheets, i was deleting rows in sheets and excel was struggling to keep up. I had to calculate from within the macro and had to remove formula from the sheet entirely.

blinkme323
10-07-2008, 08:16 AM
So I'm not the only one then....What's really strange is that after I shut down the computer and restarted it seemed to be working perfectly. Then, the user came to me the next day saying he had the same problem again. I'm at a loss right now.

Bob Phillips
10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I did a job for a user recently who had migrated to Excel 2007 and they found exactly the same problem. In this case it was excessive use of formulae AND conditional formatting, and I stripped out unnecessary formulae and CF, and added them back via VBA when a new row was identified. I cut the size of the workbook down by 90%, and made the calculations almost instantaneous. 2007 seems to have a few problems.

blinkme323
10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
That might be my best bet. What's most frustrating is the calculations do eventually occur, but it requires me to click on another cell / drop down for them to show up.

blinkme323
10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Well, I isolated the problem. I know it sounds ridiculous (and it is) but I'm currently testing the program on a Motion tablet PC. Out of curiosity I attached the optional keyboard and the program worked perfectly. Once I disconnected it, it started to stutter again. What can possibly be going on? This is a brand new tablet btw.

blinkme323
10-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Isolated it further, it only occurs when using the stylus navigate the program. When using a the trackball it works fine, again that's with the keyboard attached.