PDA

View Full Version : automating register

Lindie
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Attached a register. The list of students changes from month to month. How could I automaticall set up the next month- say November- with only selected names from October?
Now I copy all the names from October to November, then delete those left and then I delete the empty rows. could this be done quicker?

Secondly: as all months start on a different day is there a clever way to make the student register adapt like a calendar? Now I do this by hand but for 13 classes all with different pupils it is a bit of a chore. I would like all teachers to be able to use the register without my interference.

Any suggestions?
Lindie

MaximS
10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Is there any certain criteria for names which you want to keep/delete?

Lindie
10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
The only critera is where the student has left. Usually it is where there are multiple '0' at the end of the month. sometimes a student misses one or two days and return though.
I wondered whether there could be an extra column where one could put in , for instnace, a 'C' for continue. If any row has a 'C' perhaps somehow that sudent could be copied to the next month. I don't know how to progress. the 'C''s must then be copied to the next month starting from the new top row.
Lindie

MaximS
10-08-2008, 07:03 PM
How about having additional worksheet with names of students only.
In example called Students.

As I've seen in youur example there no more than 36 of them.

So all operations will be done on that list (i.e. removing, adding) - not a lot of work.

I've prepared the master for you which will create register for each month with different day names in a header. This will also pick up student names from mentioned new worksheet.

At the end of the month register will tell you who should be removed from the list. In this example more than 4 times 0 will highlight cell on red.

See attachment for details.

Lindie
10-09-2008, 01:40 PM
That's a very neat way of doing this; many thanks. When I delete some students from the Students list and then Update the month I get blanks. Am I doing this correctly?
sometimes a student who is absent more than 5 times (00000) might return so I would not want to lose them. How could these two issues be sorted out?
I'm still studying your VBA which I find fascinating
L

MaximS
10-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Students should be removed manualy from the student list, then you can decide if 5 absences are enough to remove. Then whenever you press update only students on the list will be shown. I've added small code which will sort the list of students before update to remove blanks (after removing some of the sutudents).

In my opinion Master Copy of this register should have file properties changed to Read Only. And each update should be sent as month file.

See attachment for details.

Lindie
10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
That's neat. I would like to keep all the previous months though. How would I create a new month yet keep april-October when I create November?
Lindie

Lindie
10-12-2008, 10:11 AM
how did you manage to hide/loose the 'list' sheet? I cannot find the validation lists any more.
L