PDA

View Full Version : .mdb to .mde

sindhuja
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi All,

I have created a access database with .mdb extension in access 2003 version.

All i want to do is to convert this to .exe and i tried converting to .MDE file but its showing me an error message as "you cannot convert this file to MDE format"

Is there any other way so that users cannot view the form designs, forms and the objects tab screen.

When a file is opened, login form should be the start up form with no other options like create forms in design view and all....

Please help me out in this and this is really urgent for me...

-Sindhuja

CreganTur
10-09-2008, 05:20 AM
For a quick fix you need to look at the Tools -> Startup screen. Take away the ability to see the database window, and any other options you want to set (including having your login form run at startup).

Then set a password on your code to prevent anyone from viewing or making changes to your code. In the VBE click Tools -> Name Properties (where name is your project name) -> Protection tab.

nepotist
10-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Well are always third party tool available to do this.. IF you do a google search a bunch of them should pop up

sindhuja
10-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks a lot Randy !

One more query !!

Is there a way to disable the form design when right clicking on the form as I don?t want the users to make design changes in my form.

-Sindhuja

CreganTur
10-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Is there a way to disable the form design when right clicking on the form as I don’t want the users to make design changes in my form.

Well, if you're using my method of setting things up via the Startup menu options then you can take away the toolbars. If your users need the toolbars, but you just don't want them to enter design view, then I'm afraid I don't know how to accomplish that with this method.

Movian
10-09-2008, 09:43 AM
i know this might not seem helpful but the best way to stop them going into design view would be to fix whatever is stopping it from being converted to an mde and then convert it.

nepotist
10-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks a lot Randy !

One more query !!

Is there a way to disable the form design when right clicking on the form as I don’t want the users to make design changes in my form.

-Sindhuja

If you want to disable the design view uncheck the allow short cut menu in the options of access
I have 2007 and this is what I did
Main office icon.... access options.... Current database...scroll down to the bottom and then uncheck display all shortcut menu,
that will give ur the desired results.

But but doing and sorts of changes (As mentioned above) I am not sure if the changes would be carried over the other computer( I mean when u try to run the application on other computer)
I hope that Helped

CreganTur
10-09-2008, 11:02 AM
But but doing and sorts of changes (As mentioned above) I am not sure if the changes would be carried over the other computer( I mean when u try to run the application on other computer)

Those types of options are specific to the individual database- they carry over when you run them on other computers.

Carl A
10-09-2008, 12:41 PM
All i want to do is to convert this to .exe and i tried converting to .MDE file but its showing me an error message as "you cannot convert this file to MDE format"

You should do a compile test and see if any errors show up

sindhuja
10-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the views...

As Nepotist said I have unchecked all the options in the startup options and its not allowing to edit the forms.

If again I want to view all the menu what should be done...

-Sindhuja

nepotist
10-10-2008, 05:17 AM
check them back again

I wonder if there is a way to enable and disable this through vba code. that would actually help you a lot.
Here is a link that talks about some thing that might be useful to you

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa200349.aspx

CreganTur
10-10-2008, 05:21 AM
If again I want to view all the menu what should be done...

Then you just hold down shift and click Open when the Access security message appears when you open the .mdb

This allows you to bypass all of the startup options and brings you straight to the database window. There is code that makes it so you can't do this... but you can run into some problems with that code.

Movian
10-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Then you just hold down shift and click Open when the Access security message appears when you open the .mdb

This allows you to bypass all of the startup options and brings you straight to the database window. There is code that makes it so you can't do this... but you can run into some problems with that code.

well what i do is i set the startup "Splash" form to lock the navigation pane if it detects the database has any extension other than .accdr.

It then prompts for a "Developer" password if its correct the navigation pane is unlocked and i can carry on as normall. (Note i use a special input box that hides the entered password with *'s and the password is also encrypted within the code making it a little harder to find it and break in :) )

just a thought if you did want to disable the bypass. just have a form that asks for a password if its entered it stops all start up macros, if it isn't they run as usuall. That way you avoid any nasty mishaps with the shift bypass disable