PDA

View Full Version : Project of the Week

Demosthine
10-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Evening All.

I posted this in the Off-Topic Forum because it isn't specific to a particular Application, but I haven't gotten much response at all. Since Excel seems to be the most used Forum...

I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting a "Project of the Week." Have one of the more active and advanced users give some general instructions for a project and see what the end results are from anyone wishing to participate.

I find it very interesting to browse through other peoples' code to see how they completed something and it's led me to some great discoveries over the years.

An example project would be something like:

You are creating a roster for your class taht assigns each student to a certain project group. Using Data Validation, create a drop-down list that will remove each students' name once they have been assigned to a group.

Criteria:
- There are 28 students in the class.
- Each group has either three or four students.
- Each student can only be in one group.
- The drop-down list should be alphabetical by last name.
- There should not be any blank entries in the validation combo.

Anyone interested?!?

Scott

Endorphin
10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

CreganTur
10-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Personally, I'm afraid most of the respondents will choose Excel only since this is the Excel forum, but VBA is about the entire Office environment, along with many other applications.

I chose cross-application because it was the closest choice to what I think. It's fine to sometimes have single application projects, but they should be in different office apps- this will allow for more participation, but it will also give the participants the ability to sometimes stretch themselves by working in a new app.

Also, there are a lot of questions every week dealing with cross-application coding, so there is obviously a need for more understanding in this area. Perhaps cross-application challenges could help with that some.

Tommy
10-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I would prefer a cross application project. Why stick with one application when you can mess up more than one at a time? :D

holshy
10-22-2008, 09:49 AM
It's fine to sometimes have single application projects, but they should be in different office apps- this will allow for more participation, but it will also give the participants the ability to sometimes stretch themselves by working in a new app.:thumb

Carl A
10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I would prefer a cross application project. Why stick with one application when you can mess up more than one at a time? :D :rotlaugh:

I also would prefer a cross application.

Demosthine
10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Afternoon guys.

Well, the poll is at 3-5 for cross-application versus Excel only, so I'd tend to be agree cross-app would be the biggest benefit. There's still another five days for the poll to end, though. Of course, I could very easily do both each week.

The next question is who would be the best person to get to set up a new Forum for it. I was thinking having it's own Forum might be more beneficial because it won't be buried beneath all of the normal threads every day. Or would it be better to have the post listed as a Sticky in each Forum?

Scott

phendrena
10-23-2008, 02:56 AM
A great idea, as i'm new and looking to expand my knowledge I think this would be a good way to get my creative juices flowing. I voted for :

Single-Application Project (Different App each Week)

Really because i'm new, but i'm quite happy to have a crack at cross application.

Demosthine
10-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Morning All.

I'm really surprised that I haven't received more feedback on this. The Poll Results are quite pathetic. But two more days until the Poll ends.

Scott

GTO
10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Well... I definitely like Tommy's philosophy the best! (I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Thanks!)

That said - while a cross-app question would also also lend itself to those focusing on other apps, I would tend to believe that a single/different app ea project could involve more members and/or encourage guests to join.

Just a thought, but how about a two-part deal, second part is optional? Just a silly/simple example, but like: (1) Build a roster using Excel... (2) Optional-Create Word as an object and copy the roster to a table.

I know I really enjoyed and learned from a recent thread by Joseph (Maliki641) wherein the exercise was to spiral through an array. Now if it would have been far too beyond me, or, if it was too simple to provide mental challenge, it wouldn't have been such a treat. Anyways, just an idea - if there was a couple of different levels to answer at... maybe?

Mark

mikerickson
10-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I think that those who come up with projects worthy of being "Project of the Week" will have enough difficulty comming up with a project every week. (or even month)

I think that "worthy of being project of the week" is a sufficient requirement without adding other "must be cross application or must be..." requirements. The people who implement this idea will be working hard enough without being limited by those kinds of restrictions.

Demosthine
10-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Evening All.

I completely agree, Tommy's comment was great. That seems to my philosophy as well with our projects. They always end up being cross-app anyways.

I'm sending a PM to MdMcKillip, since he seems to be very active, and asking him how to get this set up and started. I'll let you all know how things go.

Scott