PDA

View Full Version : Interesting project?

Permajeo
10-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Hi all,

I've lurked here for a while but now have a problem with an Excel 2003 spreadsheetand just remembered that I haven't used VBA for a few years and am very rusty. Here goes!

I'm working on a survey across 27 schools with the potential of 13000 returns.

Each participant completes a word form and saves it in .doc format.

What I want to happen is to open each word form, save it as a word.txt data only (like a .csv) then import that data into Excel for analysis, then close the data form and move on to the next .doc and repeat until the last one.

Once the raw data is in the spreadsheet I'm ok but it's getting the data in there quickly I'm struggling with.

Any ideas would be great?

P

Bob Phillips
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM
How about having an Excel form, it removes one complication?

CreganTur
10-22-2008, 07:21 AM
How about having an Excel form, it removes one complication?

Using the above, you could then add in code that will save the Excel file holding the survey info as a .csv- then it would be very easy to add the returned survey into your SurveyMaster workbook, where you can then review the data.

Permajeo
10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I'd love too but they already have the word version.

MagicMike
10-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Limiting their choices in the excel survey would be better also. If you give a survey to 13000 people you'll get 13000 variations on the same data unless you control it before hand using validations and listboxes.

CreganTur
10-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I'd love too but they already have the word version.
Are the Users making their choices via a UserForm, or are they interacting with ActiveX controls on the document itself, along with fill-in-the-blank stuff?

Permajeo
10-22-2008, 07:38 AM
The Word form is a series of check boxes and dropdown lists with only a free text box for their name. So the main data that needs to be collected should be consistent. Changes to the form are password protected too so they shouldn't be able to change the lists.

Permajeo
10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
How could I check?

Permajeo
10-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Are the Users making their choices via a UserForm, or are they interacting with ActiveX controls on the document itself, along with fill-in-the-blank stuff?
How could I check?

mdmackillop
10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Can you post a sample form? Suitably sanitised of course.