PDA

View Full Version : Create a new Document from Template -- in two clicks

marco75
10-23-2008, 11:26 PM
In Word 2000, File > New? gave you a tabbed window with templates to choose from. You could put this as a button on the toolbar to do it in two mouse clicks.

In Word 2003, they introduced an extra step? a sidebar will open on the right, and in tiny font it will offer Templates on Office Online (very rare occurrence), Templates On my computer? (overwhelmingly more likely), On my Web sites? (never).

Most users will use the same templates over and over ? that?s the whole point.

I would like to replace the whole dreaded procedure with a toolbar icon that brings up the ?templates from this computer? dialog.

Alternately, a drop down list of .dot files from the path specified in Tools > Options? > File Locations > User Templates would be just as good, if not better.

lucas
10-24-2008, 08:43 AM
I think this will list all of the templates in the same folder as normal.dot. Maybe a start for you to create a listbox to select templates from:

Sub Macro2()
Dim aTemp As Template
For Each aTemp In Templates
MsgBox aTemp.FullName
Next aTemp
End Sub

You could search the site for a way to actually open the dialog or maybe Gerry or one of the other word guru's has a suggestion

lucas
10-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I tinkered with this and the following seems to work to bring up the dialog box that you want.....worked for me on 2003

Sub ShowTemplates()
Dim aDialog As Dialog
Set aDialog = Application.Dialogs(wdDialogFileNew)
With aDialog
.Show
End With
End Sub

fumei
10-24-2008, 10:15 AM
You can bring up the dialog with:

Sub FileNew()

Application.Dialogs(wdDialogFileNew).Show
End Sub

This re-writes (more accurate overwrites) the internal FileNew sub-routine. Going File > New ( or Ctrl-N) will bypass the internal FileNew sub which opens that Pane you do not like. Instead, FileNew directly displays the dialog of the templates.

marco75
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks very much to all that replied.

I went with fumei's solution, since it's the simplest. Put it in normal.dot and my boss is very happy with it.
:hi:

fumei
10-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Glad it worked for you.