PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Data Validation Drop Down - Changing the parameters

Hoopsah
10-28-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi

as per the attached sheet.

If I have a list of peoples names in column A and their department in column C.

If I create a drop down validation list for department name, can I then have another drop down that would only include the people from that department.

I have done this before using the INDIRECT function but, my big problem is that the list will constantly be getting updated with people either leaving, joining or changing departments, so I am unable to specify a range as tomorrow that could have changed.

Thanks for any help

Bob Phillips
10-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Is this what you want?

Hoopsah
10-28-2008, 05:30 AM
That is amazing Bob.

I have been trying to get this for 4 days now.

What can I say except thank you once again.

Marked as solved - this EXACTLY what I was trying to get,

Cheers Bob

Gerry

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Hoopsah
10-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Hi Bob,

sorry to ask this - But....

Within your formula in scratch worksheet there is the part "_dept_ID=_Chosen_Dept"

Now I understand this, but what I am wondering is, is it possible to have the Chosen Dept field point to more than one cell?

The project I am working on will have a few sheets where I hope to put these dropdown options?

Cheers Bob

Gerry

Bob Phillips
10-29-2008, 05:10 AM
If the department dropdowns are in a range on the same sheet, that is quite straight-forward, on m ultiple sheets, very difficult.

Hoopsah
10-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Cool

it will be on multiple sheets - I will just make the scratch page for all my pages and re-name chosen dept1 etc.

Cheers Bob, just wanted to ask before I got to far ahead doing it only to find there was a simpler way (As I usually do)

Cheers

Gerry

Bob Phillips
10-29-2008, 05:36 AM
What we could do is have the separate dropdowns on each sheet and setup a link for each to a range of contiguous cells on the scratch sheet, and build it there.

Where will the list of employees show? Can you post an example book?

Hoopsah
10-29-2008, 05:48 AM
Hi Bob,

I think I have got it - just using the same formulas and named ranges as you had done but incrementing them by 1.

I'll post a copy to let you see

Gerry

Bob Phillips
10-29-2008, 05:57 AM
I see Gerry, I was thinking you wanted something else. I thought you were suggesting thst you would have say 3 dept dropdowns, and you would select a value in ecah of these, and then you wanted an employee list that covered all 3 departments.

By the way, Willaim McNulty is duplicated in the data.

Are you enjoying your VBA expoerience, or is it just something you have to do to get the job done?

Hoopsah
10-29-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm lovin it Bob.

I went to college years ago and done programming in Cobol. Pascal & C++ then through a series of bad career moves I ended up not programming again.

When I got this job and realised that I had to use Excel, which I was unfamiliar with - I always used Lotus 123 - then I got as many books as I could and was constantly searching the web.

I know that you have been more help than all the books put together, and the project that I am currently working on (The one I have been posting) is just my little fun thing. I find if I can get the pages to do what they are told then I understand the formulas for doing a project that is forced upon me.

I'll check out that William McNulty too

Cheers Bob

Gerry

Bob Phillips
10-29-2008, 06:22 AM
I thought that you were.

I did Cobol and Pascal too. I tried C++ but it was too hard, even though I started in Assembler, I found C++ required too much work.

I too started in Lotus 1-2-3 (actually I went from Visicalc, to SuperCalc to Lotus), and only migrated to Excel when it was adepartment policy. For quite some years I felt it was inferior to 1-2-3, and then they added VBA in Excel 97, and well, the rest is history.

I find learning from books tough going, hands-on works so much better.

Hoopsah
10-29-2008, 06:37 AM
I think the thing about books is they very rarely answer a specific question.

When you show me how to do something - like the validation - I will keep a copy of it in my own folder and then the next time it crops up I know I have a working version other than trying to remember what I did the last time in what program and from which book I gleamed the info.

I must admit, I preferred Pascal, but C++ was much faster - but I learned in Pascal first, probably why I like it.

Bob Phillips
10-29-2008, 06:40 AM
I like Pascal too, it is similar to Algol which I started on. But I admit that when I had to use Pascal recently, to write some code to automate addin installation in Inno Setup, I struggled (thank goodness for t'internet).

Hoopsah
10-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Lol!

I said that I liked it, but, same, I don't think I would know where to begin if I had to use it now.

That said, this has been the best forum I have been on for VBA - I'm sure there must still be some for Pascal too. But I'll leave that to others to find out.