PDA

View Full Version : Direct Speech Recognition and Text to Speach

Movian
10-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Hey,
i have recently been looking for a friendlier way for my users to input a series of numbers into a form. Due to their working environment i decided that speech recognition might be the way to go. Now i was initially thinking of using the built in windows speech recognition however i just noticed some references that are available.

Microsoft Direct Speech Recognition...

Does anyone have experience with this reference? does anyone know of any tutorials that i could use to get to grips with using this?

Essentially i would need a button to start capture. The user when then "Dictate" a set of measurements (Ultra sound measurements) that then need to be captured. When they are finished taking the measurements the speech recognition can turn itself off. I am undecided yet weather it will be necessary to incorporate text to speech to ensure that the system has accurately obtained the numbers.

So any tutorials, advice or suggestions are welcome :)

CreganTur
10-30-2008, 06:12 AM
I don't know about using speech software, but I created a project a couple of years ago where associates used the Wizcom QuickLink-Pen Elite Scanner (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10376360&listingid=24351321&dcaid=17902) to scan data from documents into a database. As long as they are working off of data that's printed on a sheet somewhere, they can scan that into your forms.

This might not be what you're looking for.:dunno

Movian
10-31-2008, 01:29 PM
unfortunatly it does not cover the situation.
The Technologist has to look at the numbers he/she is getting from the ultra sound machine. It dosn't hurt to just read them out while your looking at them.

23.4 enter 28 enter 46 enter etc

but they wouldn't like to have to print a report then fire up our program then scan in the items... it can be a pain.

im having some good success using the built in Windows XP Speech recognition (once it got some training). however i think it would be even better if i could specify that its only ever going to be numbers and the word "Enter" or mabye "next". any thoughts ?

(i think im quickly becoming the anoying person who keeps asking the difficult / impossible questions lol )

Carl A
10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
however i think it would be even better if i could specify that its only ever going to be numbers and the word "Enter" or mabye "next". any thoughts ?

Speech recognition uses the keyboard interrupt controller to simulate keystrokes. So you should be able to limit the input to a textbox by using keypress and keyascii

Private Sub Text0_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
Select Case KeyAscii
'allow Backspace, Enter, Tab, and numbers 0-9
Case 8, 13, 46, 49 To 57
'disallow all other keystrokes
Case Else: KeyAscii = 0
End Select
End Sub

I'm assuming that "next" means next record

Just say next record

HTH