PDA

View Full Version : general question

vzachin
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
hi,

this is not a vba question but i don't know where to post this.

i have a document that is always "locked for editing" and i can't understand why. the document is not shared and resides on my hard drive only.
usually after a re-boot i'm able to bring up the document but during the day if i close and reopen, it would get the same error.

so the question is : is there a way to check to see if this document is open and maybe not visible?

thanks
zach

lucas
10-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi Zack,
Jake has a funtion in the kb to check to see if a workbook is open

http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=186

vzachin
10-31-2008, 10:05 AM
hi lucas,

i just tried Jake's code but it returned nothing.
i also created a fake file and used Jake's code and it also returned nothing. maybe i'm not doing this correctly??

zach

RonMcK
10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Zach,

Your Excel file has probably picked up some corruption in the bits that we don't 'see'. I would suggest trying something different, since Jake's thing is not finding an open instance of your file.

Open a new Excel file, copy your worksheet(s) to it as well as any code modules and userforms, etc. Save the new file with a different name. Then open it, do some maintenance, save and close, re-open and see whether or not you are still having difficulties. If it seems to be behaving, rename the old original file and change the name of the new file to the original name.

Cheers,

vzachin
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
hi ron,

there's something radically wrong with my pc...i just found some other files that are "corrupted" (file in use by myself) as well

i ran some other code and the files are not open anywhere...

thanks
zach

RonMcK
10-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Zach,

Probably it's time for you to run a disk scan to see if you have missing clusters.

Cheers,

vzachin
10-31-2008, 10:46 AM
will run disk scan soon

thanks
again
zach