PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Copying Columns and retaining Hyperlinks

GoKats78
11-05-2008, 04:08 AM
I have a column of data (approximately 150 rows) that is hyperlinked to individual files.

I need to copy that data to another file and retain the hyperlinks.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times...

georgiboy
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Copy and paste works for me, or am i missing something?

GoKats78
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I can copy and paste within the same file but moving the column (or individual cell) to another spreadsheet the link no longer works.

GTO
11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I have a column of data (approximately 150 rows) that is hyperlinked to individual files.

I need to copy that data to another file and retain the hyperlinks.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times...

Hi GoKats,

A bit of a guess, but let's see if this is what you have...

Your original file is in one folder, maybe even the same folder as the files that are targets of the hlinks.

The file/workbook you want to copy the hlinks to is in another folder?

If this is the case, you could use the sheet function HYPERLINK. In your original workbook, you would add these as desired, ensuring that you specify the fullname of ea target. Like:

=HYPERLINK("C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Desktop\T\MultiLinks\Book2.xls","Displayed hyperlink name")

This way when you copy the column and the cells with this function get pasted in the new/different workbook... regardless of location (folder), the link can still find the target wb.

There may well be a better way, but as I don't use hyerlinks often...

Hope that helps,

Mark

GoKats78
11-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Mark - you are right...

...the problem was the two files were not in the same folder...

I oved the folder into the same folder, copied and pasted and all is well.

I also, initialy, used =Hyperlink() to populate the fields, but that created a few other problems...

I figured it out on my ride home last night...then I saw your post and had some verification, then did it, and it worked!

GTO
11-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Glad it worked :thumb