PDA

View Full Version : Self-Populating cells with unique iidentifiers...

GoKats78
11-05-2008, 05:39 AM
I have a columns of data that contains sequential numbers...sort of..

What I have had is to tabs that contain very similar data but the "identifier" column uses sequential numbers but starts with a different first letter..

Example:
Tab 1 contains data in Column A that is number starting with C08001, C08002, C08003, and so on (this tracks Customer Issues)

Tab 2
Tab 1 contains data in Column A that is number starting with IH08001, IH08002, IH08003, and so on. (this tracks In House Issues)

I have been directed to merge these onto one tab. But I need to maintain the unique first letter for each of the two types of issues.

For example, I have a customer issue and the last C08XXX number is C08111, I need to have the Column A automatically populate with C08111 even when there are a number of In-House issues (IH08XXX numbers) since the last customer issue.

Any thoughts?

RonMcK
11-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Separate the call source identifier from the call number as a field of its own. Use one pool of unique numbers for all calls, going forward.

Or, move the Call Type Identifier (C/IH etc) so it is the suffix, not the prefix, of the number.

Sort and display calls based on time/date stamp, call number, and call type identifier. This will merge the two lists but keep the entries in chronological order.

A few of my thoughts.