PDA

View Full Version : Protecting the worksheet disables the links in the locked cells

deja2000
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I have three spreadsheets that are linked to each other. The "End User" sheet is linked to the "Approver" sheet, and the "Approver" sheet is linked to the "Admin" sheet. The cell in the source sheet is unlocked but the cell in the destination sheet is locked, so that the data cannot be changed. Because both cells in the source sheet and destination sheets are not unlocked the links will not work. I received an error saying the source cannot be found.

How can I fix this without unlocking and unprotecting all the cells?

georgiboy
11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Could you not link the sheets with buttons rather than what i am assuming is hyperlinks?

deja2000
11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
The sheets are linked by the copy and past link function. It is used to report time off. The the cell in the End User sheet allows the user to enter their time off. That cell is then linked to an idenctial sheet for the Approver. The cell that contains the End User's time off is locked by the Approver. The approver has a drop down that will "approve" the time. That cell is linked to the End User but is locked.

When all sheet are unprotected it works perfectly but when I protect the cells that have the linking formula the protection stops the data from passing.

JP2112
11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding your problem, but can't you just unprotect those two cells and then protect your sheet, so that users can click on the hyperlinks?

--JP

The sheets are linked by the copy and past link function. It is used to report time off. The the cell in the End User sheet allows the user to enter their time off. That cell is then linked to an idenctial sheet for the Approver. The cell that contains the End User's time off is locked by the Approver. The approver has a drop down that will "approve" the time. That cell is linked to the End User but is locked.

When all sheet are unprotected it works perfectly but when I protect the cells that have the linking formula the protection stops the data from passing.