PDA

View Full Version : how to auto-fill

niyrho
11-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I want to add an auto-fill function to my project, but I'm not sure how to go about it, or if I even can do it.

I have a workorder where you fill out customer info; name, address and so on. When you start filling it out I want it to automaticly match what your typing to a list of ccustomers on another sheet. So if that customer is already on there it will fill the rest otu for you. And if that customer isn't there you just continue filling it out.

Can someone at least get me pointed in the right direction?

Bob Phillips
11-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Use VLOOKUP function. Check out help and post back if you have any questions.

niyrho
11-09-2008, 09:11 AM
And how will I get vlookup to do all of that?

Bob Phillips
11-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Have you looked in help to see what VLOOKUP does?

niyrho
11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
VLOOKUP gonna work in a macro?

Bob Phillips
11-09-2008, 09:32 AM
You don't need a macro, VLOOKUP will do it all automatically based upon the key cell.

niyrho
11-09-2008, 12:40 PM
The problem with that is I'll have the vlookup formula in all but one of those feilds. If the customer isn't on the list you'd have to delete the formula to enter the information.

And, I can't have my techs entering new customers in the list themselves. I have to make this thing idiot proof.

Bob Phillips
11-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I disagree.

If it isn't on the list, show a message to that effect and get them to add it to the list. The list is the source, not the lookup form.

david000
11-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Do you mean 'auto-complete'?

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/autocomplete-validation.htm

http://www.bestechvideos.com/2008/07/13/learn-excel-episode-718-autocomplete-vs-validation

rbrhodes
11-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi niyrho,

Perhaps post a small example of your workbook with 'before & after' info.

niyrho
11-18-2008, 03:55 AM
david000:

I checked out that ozgrid link. I can't get that to work at all. I can't see how the way he explained it makes any sense. You know where I can see an example if it? Or can you translate it to english for me?

GTO
11-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Can someone at least get me pointed in the right direction?

Perhaps post a small example of your workbook with 'before & after' info.

Greetings niyrho,

Could you help the helpers by posting a small example?

Mark

niyrho
11-18-2008, 04:17 AM
I'm not sure hwo to post, or what you want me to post. Before and after what? Nothing has changed on my project yet. I havent even touched it. I was just trying to follow the example on ozgrid, but its a horrible explination and I can't get it to work. That's all I'm asking for help with. I'm not gonna try to use it in my project untill I have an idea of how it works, otherwise it'll just mess up everything I already have.

Is there anyone that can explain this thing better than ozgrid?
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/autocomplete-validation.htm

rbrhodes
11-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi niyrho,

OK although your posts show quite clearly that you're frustrated with this (you're bordering on being snarky IMHO):motz2: I'll try to explain it with 2 examples, and although that's something you haven't provided us, this is all said in good humour!

I can understand being frustrated with explanations you don't get :banghead: - I had a bit of a time figuring it out myself but it's not a "horrible explanation" it's just a very complicated subject. Dave and Oz are great IMHO and so is VBAX. All of us are trying to help so please be careful when you feel frustrated.

You're dealing with Dynamic Named Ranges, Data Validation and AutoComplete all in the same question. these are fairly advanced subjects so hang in there!:jail:

Attached are two files that attempt to explain the OzGrid examples. Let me know if I've missed anything here or if it still doesn't make sense and I'll try to explain another way.

First time I've ever used smilies...