PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] My workbook stopped recalculating!

Blakieto
03-16-2005, 08:35 PM
I have a workbook with 7 sheets and considerable VBA macro logic driving the values in various cells, plus some button activated macros that take values from cells and generate a large table that is used as input to a graph...

Today, after adding a macro that simply calculates a reference number (unused anywhere else) the entire workbook's linkage of sheet to sheet formulas stopped auto-updating.

The options menu's automatic calculation option is still selected.
I can do a [ctrl][alt][shift]F9 to recalculate a single sheet, but the sheets have nested logic that requires me to recalculate A, then B, then C, then A again and so on... Plus the sheet with the chart never recalculates anymore. I tried quitting Excel and reloading, and that worked once. After that, a reboot worked once. Now... nothing.:banghead:

I've tried removing any references to the macro I just added. That does not seem to help.

I guess as a starting point, what would cause a chart to stop updating? The cell values it references have clearly changed...!!!

I wish could post the workbook, but it is full of proprietary company info, so I can not...:(

Any ideas?

Jacob Hilderbrand
03-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Double check the source data for the chart and see if that has changed.

Blakieto
03-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Jake,

The source data of the chart is indeed changing, without the chart graphic reflecting the changes.

After further reboots and running a virus scan for sanity's sake I seem to be able to get the chart to reflect the updated values by:
1) cause the chart's source data to change in an obvious manner
2) do a [ctrl][alt][shift]F9 to force the table (chart source) to update (it does)
It this point, checking the chart show the old graphics, un-updated.
3) make sure I am on the sheet with the table, save and quit excel
4) reload excel and the workbook
5) change to the chart sheet, and it has the updated graphics.

This is a royal pain, and for the presentations that I make using this workbook, it is totally unacceptable...

I've noticed that if I save when on the chart sheet, after quitting and reloading the chart does not update to the correct (changed) values.

I hate this kind of situation. I'm an engineer, and voodoo like this should not be happening...:banghead:

Blakieto
03-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I just tried using the "Application.Volatile True" statement to see if that had any impact, and it does not seem to...

Basically, this is the situation:
One sheet has a table that calculates the total CPU capacity in a processing cluster (hundreds of networked computers.)
On this sheet, additions to the capacity can be specified to go on-line at a specific date.

On another sheet, various "jobs" that require the use of the processing cluster accumulate their forecasted needs. This becomes a large table, with each row being one day, the forecasted processing needs for that day, and the processing capacity we have on-line on that day.

This large table is the source data for the chart that is not updating.

Between the CPU capacity sheet and the forecasted needs sheet is a macro that given a date, returns the CPU capacity on-line on that date. This macro is where I just tried placing the "Application.Volatile True" statement.

I expect to be able to change the CPU capacity sheet, numbers of computers and the dates they go on-line, and see that reflected on the forecast table. But I do not.

If I do a [ctrl][alt][shift]F9, I do see the capacity change reflected in the table. However, the chart that uses the table as its source data does not update. I need to quit excel and reload everything again to see the chart update.

Any clues? :dunno

Apparently, the "Application.Volatile True" statement fixed the problem. However, I had to quit out of Excel and reload for it to begin working. Don't know what's up with that, but at least we can forecast our capacity needs now...