PDA

View Full Version : Solved: formula updating call stack

philfer
11-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Hello,

When excel autorecalculates is there a way either in excel or programatically to see list which formulae are being recalculated and in what order.

The reason I am trying to get this type of "call stack" is I am working on a workbook that is large and slow.

I am trying to eliminate the volatile functions to slim it down but I really want to see why it keeps recalculating so often i.e. whenever I move from one sheet to another it recalcs, and I am losing the will to live!!!

Thanks for your help
Phil

Bob Phillips
11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
No, that is all closely guarded trade secrets. But look for help here http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecrets.htm

philfer
11-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for that xld,

You certainly seem to know this stuff very well.

Can you think of why this workbook is doing this? Literally if I move to a sheet it recalculates. If I move straight-away to another sheet it recalculates.

Much of the day is spent watching this thing recalculate.

(of course you can set it to manual calc but my colleagues dont like this as they forget to switch it back and it causes a lot of tears)

Thanks again
Phil

Bob Phillips
11-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Phil,

There are so many things that could be causing this that it is hard to give a generic cause without seeing the workbook.

Have a read of Charles' pages, they give good insight and good advice as to how to address any problems.

As for calculation mode, uyou could always set/unset it depending on some event, such as activating a particular sheet.

philfer
11-13-2008, 08:18 AM
who's charles?

was that the link above

Bob Phillips
11-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Yes, Charles is Charles Williams, Mr Decision Models.