PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Print Excel File In Color

U_Shrestha
11-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi,

Since yesterday, all of a sudden I cannot print any Excel file in color, surprisingly I can print MS Word and anything else in color. I change the print option to color and still the print preview appears in black and white. Can someone help? My PC is a part of office network which can be remotely controlled by Admins. They just updated their remote access version yesterday. I first noticed it when I opened an Excel file that was emailed to me by a coworker. Thanks.

RonMcK
11-14-2008, 10:23 AM
u-

Have you entered a trouble ticket with your desktop admin and/or corp support people?

Cheers,

U_Shrestha
11-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Actually no, as it's a lengthy process. I was hoping it might just be an Excel issue and someone might be able to help me. Thanks.

RonMcK
11-14-2008, 01:51 PM
u-

What have you done, so far, to diagnose your problem? Have you shutdown your PC and restarted it, then, tried printing? Is anyone else at your location having the same problem that you are?

HTH,

U_Shrestha
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I just restarted my computer, but still the Excel file doesn't print in color. One of my coworker cannot print either, but another one is able to print Excel file in color.

RonMcK
11-14-2008, 02:18 PM
u-

How is it supposed to work? Do you select a 'color printer' from your list of installed printers and then tell Excel to print your document? Here, where I work, I have two drivers on my Mac for printing on our Xerox 240: one for B&W and once for color.

Can you reinstall the printer driver?

Cheers,

U_Shrestha
11-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I am connected to only one Printer, what confuses me is I can print MS Word document in color.

If reinstalling the printer driver is the only option then I would have to notify the tech people. Is there anything else I can try to resolve this?

RonMcK
11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Does it print no color from any of your Excel documents? Have you created a new Excel doc, something not too big and complicated, applied colors to it, and then printed it?

If that works, I'd then try creating a new workbook and copying the pages from your existing (no longer printing in color) workbook, and copying any VBA modules, and see it then prints in color.

Beyond simple stuff I'm way out of my depth. Let's hope some others, here, who are heavier techies will jump in and help you. Time for me to fold up shop and go home.

Cheers,

GTO
11-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Hello -u,

I noted that you stated that the problem started after an update, so suspect contacting a tech may be best option. But as you seem to infer the techs take a bit of hassle/effort:

What version of Excel?

When the coworkers print, are you and they all printing to the same printer (especially the one who's colors still work)? To clarify: when I ask as to the same printer, I am asking as to the exact same machine, not just the type or model. I am curious as to whether your printer is connected to your PC thru the network, or directly, such as an LPT1.

What is the printer manufacturer and model number (Such as HP DeskJet 970Cxi)?

When you say you "change the print option to color", how are you doing this?

Not sure if I'll be able to help, but will certainly try,

Mark

U_Shrestha
12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the late reply.

1) We have Excel 2003 Version and XP Edition.
2) I think printer is connected through network to the same machine.
3) Xerox 7655 PS.
4) I go to the Excel file, select 'File', then 'Print', then 'Properties', then 'Output Color = Color', then select 'Print'.

I have noticed that sometimes I am able to print excel file in color and sometimes I am not with no apparent reason. Thanks.

mdmackillop
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Presumably you have unchecked "Black and White" in the File/Page Setup/Sheet tab?

U_Shrestha
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Actually, "Black and White" in the File/Page Setup/Sheet tab is unchecked. Still having problem.

GTO
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I just restarted my computer, but still the Excel file doesn't print in color. One of my coworker cannot print either, but another one is able to print Excel file in color.

Hi -u,

Well, if you and the coworkers are sending the print jobs to the same networked printer, and get different results (doesn't print, prints in B/W, prints in color), I would lasso a tech.

Sorry not to be of any help, but I did a quick look-around, and we don't have any xerox printers, so I can't really even guess at it beyond what's already been siad/suggested... :(

Mark

U_Shrestha
12-31-2008, 08:53 AM
I just discovered something weird. I used conditional formatting to 1) highlight the background based on certain criteria and 2) use red fonts for certain criteria. To my utter surprise, the background (pattern) did print in color, but the fonts did not print in color :banghead:

It seems the default font color has somehow been set to black color. Any suggestions on how to change it? Thanks.