PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Access Scheduler

Movian
11-17-2008, 11:20 AM
ok,
me again with another probably impossible task (i laugh in the face of easy). I need to now build an appointment scheduling system into the database (think Google calendar but in access). frankly im stumped as where to begin with this. I am going to go into my planning stage but i thought i would see if someone here has an example or knew of somthing that may help (i know that alot of people hate the activex calendar control so i shall avoid it).

any help or suggestions is much apriciated.

OBP
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I have a couple of examples of Appointment systems, the first thing to consider is what days of the week you want, How many Hours per Day and what Intervals during the day, i.e. 15 minutes, 30 minutes, Hourly etc.
I use some queries to produce a Table of those dates and Intervals so the user can just click on the relevant "period" and enter some data to say what or who the Appointment is for.

Movian
11-17-2008, 02:50 PM
that sounds pretty much what i would be looking at. I am looking at getting a base example to work from (i always have problems starting from scratch! gimme something ANYTHING! as a starting base and there are no problems normally) i would be looking to make the scheduler customizable for the end user however i can start of with a fixed period system. is there any chance you could post those examples ? thanks

Carl A
11-17-2008, 03:21 PM
There are two examples on this page that may give you an idea as how to proceed.

http://www.weascend.com/Downloads/downloadpage.htm

OBP
11-18-2008, 07:38 AM
movian, here is a stripped down version.

Movian
11-18-2008, 07:44 AM
THANKS!

OBP that is pretty much exactly what i am after. Although i do have a question, after examining it briefly i am curious how the sub forms produce the numerous combo boxes for each of the time slots while on the actual form there appears to be only one... this might be very useful to know how that works so i could setup the system to be user customizable for the time slots.

But this defiantly is what i am looking for, so even though i still have some questions i think this can be safely marked as solved :)

OBP
11-18-2008, 07:48 AM
The Subforms are in "Continuous Form Mode", so everything on the one line is reproduced for each Record. It is split in to 3 Subforms to make it easier to fit on the form.

Movian
11-18-2008, 07:50 AM
So if i wanted to give the user the choice of time slots (say instead of every 15 minutes they changed to 30 minutes slots)i would simply alter the table structure directly and the sub forms would adjust automatically ?

OBP
11-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Yep, the Queries use the Date & Time tables to put the dates and time slots in to the Date & Time table.
So if you change the time table and delete the data in the Date & time table, run the query and it will create them with 30 minute slots instead.
You can also reduce or increase the start and end time by adding deleting the slots in the table.

Movian
11-21-2008, 11:57 AM
after playing around and starting to tweak a couple things i had an additional question. when i double click on a drop down time slot (note i have now changed them to text fields) i want to set that time slot to a specific colour, however when i change the colour it changes the colour for the entire group. How would i change the colour for just the one box (or multiple boxes if the apointment spans multiple blocks)

OBP
11-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Sorry, that is something that you can't do with a Form in Continuous Mode, if you want a quick Visual check using colour then you could use VBA in a Report to do it.

Movian
11-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Ok, if i can't do it that way i will have to dynamically create the controls. One of the requirements is that i can set colours for blocks of time.

Movian
11-24-2008, 09:15 AM
*apologies for double post*

After much research it appears that dynamically reating controls on a form is not only frowned upon. But is also not possible in a compiled run time environment...

So now i need a method that allows for both a change in the time periods (10 minutes, 15 minutes , 30 minutes or whatever period of time between blocks the user requires). While also being able to denoted specific blocks with colours etc... any thoughts ? (note i don' think making hundreds of controls making them invisible and then showing the right number is a suitable option.)

OBP
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
The method for Time Period Selection could be arranged on a Form.
But I can't think of any way to use Colour other than by switching the display to a Report.