PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Accounting format alignment change

xluser2007
11-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi All,

In my workbook, I have a set of cells (like the picture shown), which are number-formatted as "Accounting", witha "$" prefix.

As you can see the dollar is to the far left and the amounts are to the far right.

Can we bring the "$" signs and the numerical value closer together, as I would like to center align all values in these cells (numbers and the "$" signs).

Any ideas on how to go about this would be appreciated.

mikerickson
11-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Narrowing the cell would bring them closer.

Or, if you format the cell and select custom, you'll see something like
_____($* #,##0.00_____) where the each underscore _ results in spacing from the edge of the cell. Increasing the underscores brings them closer (for some reason 4 underscores causes the parenthesis to show, but 3 or 5 doesn't)

xluser2007
02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Narrowing the cell would bring them closer.

Or, if you format the cell and select custom, you'll see something like
_____($* #,##0.00_____) where the each underscore _ results in spacing from the edge of the cell. Increasing the underscores brings them closer (for some reason 4 underscores causes the parenthesis to show, but 3 or 5 doesn't)
Mike, I've played around a while and the solution for my purposes was simple enough:

Changing the format to Currency, or just use a Cutom format such as :

"$ #,##0"

you can change the number of spaces between the $ and the number s (i.e. # in the above format) to suit your preference.

Cheers and thanks for looking into this.

I'm confused as to how the different experiments you mentioned above actually work out that way - Excel can be a little strange :yes.

mdmackillop
02-08-2009, 04:36 AM
The difference, I think, is that Accounting will align symbols, Currency will not.

xluser2007
02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
The difference, I think, is that Accounting will align symbols, Currency will not.

Ahh, I see now md, yes that is correct.

For my purposes, the Currency format as specified worked as required.

Sorry if I was vague in my initial requirements, and thanks sincerely for your efforts mike.

Cheers,