PDA

View Full Version : automatically convert incorrect data

joeyc
11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Hello,

I have a template that people use often. On the sheet called INPUT DATA, a column where one can enter a country exists. It is important that the user enters valid country codes - so my other programs and stuff can work. So, I conditionally formatted this column up to row 1000. If a user enters a valid country code as listed on the Accepted Codes worksheet it will turn green, otherwise it will turn red.

But, I would like to take things one step further and need some help.

I have a new worksheet that I want to continuous add data to. It is called Automatic Conversions. I would like to automatically convert any input entered in the Original Country column to the Standard Country.

For example, if an user enters the country 'Cayman Island' my template will turn this entry red - since it isn't valid. However, I have seen this happen a lot. So, I put this on the Automatic Conversions worksheet - where I would like to see this automatically displayed as ????. And I would like the font to turn blue.

In other words, if an user enters a country on the INPUT DATA worksheet that matches column A on the Automatic Conversions worksheet it will be converted to the Standard Country in column B. Lastly, if you can make the font color blue, for all countries converted that would be excellent.

I would prefer the natural Excel solution if it can be done simply.

Thank you in advance for any help with this matter.

lucas
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Why not use data validation using the list from the sheet "accepted codes. That way the user would only have valid choices.

joeyc
11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes. That is a good answer.

To make a long story short, with our situation, this just wouldn't work. I know this seems like a funny answer. But, we just have to do it this way.