PDA

View Full Version : DAO RecordSet returned from QueryDef.OpenRecordSet problem

mimisdutch
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi to all,
I am new to this forum and to vba also. I have this question:

I managed to obtain a recordset using QueryDef.OpenRecordSet which is return from a stored procedure on SQL Server back end. The code I use is the following:

Dim strSQL as String
strSQL = "exec test_stored_procedure"
Dim connectionString
connectionString = "ODBC;Driver={SQL Server};Server=(local);Database=MyDatabase;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
Dim qdf As QueryDef
Dim dbs As Database
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set qdf = dbs.CreateQueryDef("")
qdf.Connect = connectionString
qdf.SQL = strSQL
qdf.ReturnsRecords = True
Dim myrs As DAO.recordset
Set myrs = qdf.OpenRecordset()

After I get the recorset, I use the following code to put it in a subform and show the results.

Set Forms![My_Form_Name]![SubForm_Name].Form.RecordSet = myrs
Forms![My_Form_Name]![SubForm_Name].Requery

Everything shows fine but I need something more. My subform isn't editable like it would be if I used a standard query as a recordsource for this form. Is there a way to make it editable? If there is not, how can I execute stored procedures on the sql server, get the results from them and put them in a form which will be also editable since that is the purpose I used QueryDef? I hope you understood my question. Please let me know if you have any idea since time is pressing.

Thanks in advance.

OBP
12-04-2008, 06:07 AM
I have never used an Access database with an SQL server, however the problem may well be the type of Recordset that the QueryDef has returned.
It sounds like it has returned a Snapshot type recordset instead of a Dynaset type.
Do you actually need to use a qrydef to set the Record Source of the Form to the SQL query directly?