PDA

View Full Version : Range.find

claudia
12-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Hello,

I am not an experienced programmer but I am trying to write a VBA Excel macro to find a certain value in a range of cells and copy it to another cell in a different worksheet.
I found the following problem: Once you enter a value, if there is no such value in the range of cells, there is an error message from the compiler and the macro run is interrupted. The find command line I am using is:

Range("A10:A34").Find(What:=VlrNominal).Activate
t = ActiveCell.Value

where VlrNominal receives an input value from the user and variable t stores it.

Is there another way to look for a cell value avoiding this problem?
Please check if the above information is enough.
Thank you for your help.
Claudia

Bob Phillips
12-04-2008, 06:43 AM
On Error Resume Next
Set cell = Range("A10:A34").Find(What:=VlrNominal)
On Error Goto 0
If Not cell Is Nothing Then

t = cell.Value
End If

mdmackillop
12-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Dim t As Range
Set t = Range("A10:A34").Find(What:=vlrNominal)
If Not t Is Nothing Then
t.Copy Sheets(2).Range("A1")
End If

xluser2007
12-04-2008, 05:27 PM
On Error Resume Next
Set cell = Range("A10:A34").Find(What:=VlrNominal)
On Error Goto 0

t = cell.Value
End If

Bob,

Just to learn from this thread, I was testing this out as follows:

Option Explicit
Sub test()

Dim cell As Range
Dim t

On Error Resume Next
Set cell = Range("A1:A10").Find(What:="peace")
On Error GoTo 0

t = cell.Address
Debug.Print t

End If

End Sub
As such could you explain the On error aprts.

That the On Error Resume Next tells it move to the next line of nothing is found. The On Error GoTo 0 clears all errors (is this right?). Then you re-test whether

Why are the 2 error check's Bob? And not Just use the If Not Cell is Nothing?

Also How would you get the macro to loop through and find all possible occurrences of peace and print them in the loop - the FIND seems to pick up only the first one?

regards,

Bob Phillips
12-05-2008, 03:17 AM
On Error Resume tells the error handler to simply resume at the next statement if an error is encountered, ignoring that error. You use it in circumstances where you expect a potential error but you don't want to crash and burn on that error. But you don't want to leave on error resume on, it might mask other errors later on, so you use use On Error Goto 0 to reset the error handler.

I think iun this case you can just test the result for Nothing, but there is one circumstance that elues me for the moment where it can fail, so I have just learnt to be cautious and wrap the find with an error catch.

Bob Phillips
12-05-2008, 03:18 AM
To catch alll instances, you use Find and then FindNext in a loop. Take a look at Find in VBA help, it has a good example, and post back if something is not fully clear.

xluser2007
12-05-2008, 04:40 AM
To catch alll instances, you use Find and then FindNext in a loop. Take a look at Find in VBA help, it has a good example, and post back if something is not fully clear.

Thanks for this suggestion Bob.

I followed the help example.

And basically set values in B2:B12. The macro searches for all ranges in B1:B500 containing 2 and replaces it with 25.

The strange this is that when it replaces a 26 with 25. This makes sense as we are isolating any address that has 2 in the value, and replacing that whole address value with 25.

How can you just replace 2 with 25, not any cell merely containg 2 as a digit amongst other digits e.g. not replacing 326 with 25, just because it contains a 2.

Also cell B1 is permanently set to 2, why is the macro not finding or replacing, and for that matter setting the "firstaddress" variable to be B1 instead of B2?

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I've attached my testing workbook.

xluser2007
12-05-2008, 04:41 AM
On Error Resume tells the error handler to simply resume at the next statement if an error is encountered, ignoring that error. You use it in circumstances where you expect a potential error but you don't want to crash and burn on that error. But you don't want to leave on error resume on, it might mask other errors later on, so you use use On Error Goto 0 to reset the error handler.

I think iun this case you can just test the result for Nothing, but there is one circumstance that elues me for the moment where it can fail, so I have just learnt to be cautious and wrap the find with an error catch.

Well Explained Bob, I now understand the purpose of the On Error GoTo 0 now, being used straight after the On Error Resume Next Statement.

thanks and regards.

xluser2007
12-05-2008, 05:08 AM
How can you just replace 2 with 25, not any cell merely containg 2 as a digit amongst other digits e.g. not replacing 326 with 25, just because it contains a 2.

I tried to address this proble using:

Sub test_Findnxt()
Dim c As Range
Dim firstaddress As String
With Worksheets(1).Range("b1:b500")

Set c = .Find(2, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)

If Not c Is Nothing Then

firstaddress = c.Address
Debug.Print firstaddress
Do
c.Value = 25
Set c = .FindNext(c)
Loop While (Not c Is Nothing) And (c.Address <> firstaddress)
End If

End With
End Sub

It seemed to replace only cells with a single 2 value in them, except tossed up a run-time error 91 "Object variable or With Block variable not set" and highlighted the following line:

What is happening here and how can this be corrected for.

Bob Phillips
12-05-2008, 06:00 AM
The problem is caused because you change the found values.

VBA does not short-circuit, so when you have an AND clause, it will evaluate both conditions, even if the first is true. In your case, after you have processed them all the c is Nothing, so c.Address cannot be evaluated. If you had just acted upon c, not changed it, it would have worked.

I remember now that this is a flaw in the help here, it is not quite as good as I suggested at first.

In reality, you only need to test for Nothing if you do change the values, or to be back where you started if you don't.

xluser2007
12-07-2008, 12:37 AM
The problem is caused because you change the found values.

VBA does not short-circuit, so when you have an AND clause, it will evaluate both conditions, even if the first is true. In your case, after you have processed them all the c is Nothing, so c.Address cannot be evaluated. If you had just acted upon c, not changed it, it would have worked.

I remember now that this is a flaw in the help here, it is not quite as good as I suggested at first.

In reality, you only need to test for Nothing if you do change the values, or to be back where you started if you don't.

Bob, thanks for your helpful comments. Ijust tried to re-reun the original test program I had posted and it seems to run wothout the error, which is quite confusing.

Just to make sure that the program is robust, I woud like to implement your suggestions but am slightly unsure of your modifications suggested. Do you mean that we should change the last line from:

to:

Loop While (Not c Is Nothing)

Also, I'm quite unsure of why the first address variable is being picked up as $B$2, instead of $B$1, even if you set the $B$1 value to be 2. Could you please explain why this is so?

regards

Bob Phillips
12-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Bob, thanks for your helpful comments. Ijust tried to re-reun the original test program I had posted and it seems to run wothout the error, which is quite confusing.

How odd - I am not seeing that.

Just to make sure that the program is robust, I woud like to implement your suggestions but am slightly unsure of your modifications suggested. Do you mean that we should change the last line from:

to:

Loop While (Not c Is Nothing)

Yep, that is what I mean.

Also, I'm quite unsure of why the first address variable is being picked up as $B$2, instead of $B$1, even if you set the $B$1 value to be 2. Could you please explain why this is so?

If you don't specify the After argument value, it will start at the top left hand cell of the specififed range, and find the first instance after this cell. Thus, if your rane is B1:B500, it will look for the firts value of 2 AFTER cell B1, which is B2 in your case, and B1 will be found last of all.

claudia
12-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Hello,

I'd like to thank you all for your help. You saved me a lot of time.

Best wishes,
Claudia