PDA

View Full Version : Excel Demds 120mb when starting

andysuth
12-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Excel is opening a very simple spreadsheet (2 rows by 20 columns)
No calculations. all definitive text or numerical values.

It takes a whacking great 120mb when opening (source: task manager).

It is being opened by SE2d (solidedge 2d, a Cad package) to read variables INTO SE2d, (excessive, it could do that from a CSV file).

Are there any settings on Excel (the new style interface, 2008?) that can be tunred off or on to make it smaller?

It is so big that it crashes a decent specification system.

Thanks,

-Andy.

Jan Karel Pieterse
12-08-2008, 04:58 AM
What is the size of the file (as reported by explorer) Excel is opening?

andysuth
12-08-2008, 05:37 AM
11kb,

it isn't a "native" excel file: I use the "outputto" method from access to save a xls file.

I don't think this is the specific problem though, I think it is something to do with my excel settings.

I do have a minimum of the following running:
SolidEdge2D.
MS Access 2007.

But the machine I'm running on is high enough spec to cope with three applications at the same time.

-Andy.

Jan Karel Pieterse
12-08-2008, 07:36 AM
OK, in that case I haven't got an answer, sorry!

andysuth
12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Jan, you didn't think it was a 110mb file did you?!?!?! ;p

Jan Karel Pieterse
12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Not quite, but sometimes Excel files do tend to get larger than expected. I doubt if this is the case here though, but it would be prudent to doublecheck.

andysuth
12-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Not quite, but sometimes Excel files do tend to get larger than expected. I doubt if this is the case here though, but it would be prudent to doublecheck.

Hi,

I'm still stuck on this, is there a "load light" option on 2007?

I'm not even familiar with where the system options are altered on this 2007 version (new menu system!).

If someone could highlight how to turn off virus checking or whatever else take up these system resources than I'd be so greatful.

If nothing else, then "Bump", this must be approaching an end of term deadline with a few student excel projects looking at the activity!!!!

-Andy.

Jan Karel Pieterse
12-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Click the Office button, at the bottom of that dialog there is "Excel Options".

Alt=t, o gives the same dialog. (from the old Tools, Options menu choice, all old Excel 2003 menu shortcut keys still work!).

There is no such thing as "Load light" I'm afraid.