PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Multiple users in excel 2007 enterprise

ttitto
12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi!

I made an excel database using VBA. It is complicated and must be filled with data from 4 different PCs in a network. The question is is it possible that two different users open the same file (.xlsm), located on the server and enter data simultaneously. All PCs have Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise.

RonMcK
12-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I suggest that you look at the thread Your thoughts on shared workbooks.. The general answer is that this is a bad idea, however, if you absolutely must do it, the thread gives you some tools to use in attempting to avoid disaster. You might also use Search on the tool bar to look for additional threads on the subject.

Cheers,

CreganTur
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum- it's always good to see new members!

The multi-user probem is exactly why Access is the preferred choice for building database applications. I posted something like this in the linked post, so I'll try not to repeat myself.

Excel does not have any native functionality for handling a relational database. Even if you do separate all of your 'tables' onto different worksheets/workbooks you'll have one heck of a time trying to create anything resembling referntial integrity, keeping unique values unique (primary key, foreign key, index), etc.

It is very possible for 2 users to do something to a workbook at the same time and cause issues that range from data loss to corruption and workbook death. Access has robust tools that handle multiple users with ease and without the fears and headaches you would come across in Excel.

HTH:thumb