PDA

View Full Version : Objects in Powerpoint

nbqleebarnes
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi All,
I have tried posting this question in the powerpoint forum, but I didn't get any response all month, so I will try asking this question here.

"I must say I am VERY new to powerpoint and coding, and not much better with Excell.
I have been searching through the forum and I am trying to find out how to make an excell object that I have inserted into powerpoint, openable / useable, without going into an actual presentation, ie, working from the normal view. This is however with the powerpoint presentation being protected for read only status."

Thanks
Lee

JimmyTheHand
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Lee,

I'm willing to try myself with this. You need to know that coding PowerPoint is an unknown field to me, too, but I need to learn because my current project involves creating a PowerPoint slide by running VBA code in Excel. I'm almost sure we can make something out of your project as well. I don't promise anything, mind you, but we can give it a try. Agreed?

If so then please give me some more details about what you want to do. An attached document, spiced with some explanation would help me a lot to understand.

Jimmy

nbqleebarnes
12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for your interest in this little project of mine. I have attached an example of what the powerpoint project would have.
I have made the powerpoint file a read only file, password is "user" but if you open the zip file you will see the powerpoint file and an excell file of which I have inserted a link into the powerpoint slide.
What I am trying to do is make the link to the excell file be able to open in normal view in the powerpoint file while the powerpoint is in read only mode.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks
Lee

JimmyTheHand
12-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Looks like quite the challenge...

Anyway, I need to be clear on some things.
1. You want
a) the user to be able to open the linked Excel workbook, while the slideshow is running.
b) the user to be able to open the linked Excel workbook, while the slideshow is NOT running, and the PowerPoint presentation had been opened without knowledge of the password (i.e. for reading only).
c) something else. (What?)

2. Have you given any thought to take a different approach?
I'm asking this because it's very common that people want something with their application, but don't tell what it is. They only tell about the way they want to reach their destination, and ask about the difficulties along their chosen way. However, there might be a shortcut which they don't ever consider.

Jimmy

nbqleebarnes
12-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Hi Jimmy,
Yes as to question 1 a) and b), the c) part I will only start doing once I know that it is possible.
Which brings us to question 2 which is yes, I could write the whole 149 page presentation in excell itself but that would be time consuming, and I really didn't want to do that, as powerpoint is a nice base for my presentation.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
Lee

JimmyTheHand
12-18-2008, 12:03 AM
The ultimate goal seems to be to display some Excel data for the user of the presentation. What I meant by "different approach" was that the goal above can probably be achieved by several methods, linking a workbook into the presentation being only one of them.

For example, you can open the Excel workbook by clicking on a commandbutton. Below is a simple code for you to try. Put a button on the slide and add this code to its OnClick event. Don't forget to tick on Microsoft Excel Object Library in Tools/References.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim EA As Excel.Application
Set EA = New Excel.Application
EA.Workbooks.Open (ActivePresentation.Path & "\Protected sheet in powerpoint.xls")
EA.Visible = True
End Sub

Is it suitable for your purposes?

Jimmy

Benzadeus
12-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey Jimmy,

This code didn't work on my Powerpoint. Error on line two, highlighting "Excel.Application": "User type not defined".

JimmyTheHand
12-18-2008, 03:10 AM
This code didn't work on my Powerpoint. Error on line two, highlighting "Excel.Application": "User type not defined".

As pointed out before:
Don't forget to tick on Microsoft Excel Object Library in Tools/References.

Also, you may have to change Macro Security settings in order to to enable macro code execution.

Jimmy

Mahahaava
12-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Hi,

not sure what you're looking for but attached the same files with the area of the Excel -sheet visible in the PPT both in edit and Slide-show -mode.

In Excel select the area of interest -- Copy and in PP Paste Special -- Paste As Link.

Maybe this is something you were looking for? No programming needed in PP, all can be done in Excel...

/Petri11185