PDA

View Full Version : File... does not contain data

Ronald_yoh
12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi there,

does anyone out there have come across an error : File "..." does not contain data while importing or linking a text file to access database?

I have a text file with 2 Gig in size and having the above error while trying to link or import the file to access..

I split the file into half and successfully imported those files to access..

is there a limit in access for linking/importing a file?

Thanks

Demosthine
12-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Ronald.

Access itself has a 2GB size limit for Database files. This limit is in effect for 2003 and 2007 both. Unfortunately, if your text file is 2GB, you're database will most likely be larger because of the additional overhead that Access has versus straight text.

I've heard of people using the Upscale Wizard to relocate certain Tables, Queries, etc. to a separate file and then creating an "Access Project" rather than just an "Access Database." Personally, I have never attempted this because I don't work with really large Databases, but it may be time to upgrade to a larger-scale Server if you regularly work with files that large.

Good luck.
Scott

Ronald_yoh
12-18-2008, 02:21 AM
hey mate. i understand if the access itself has limit to 2GB.. however I'm trying to link (not importing) the file..

I split the 2GB file into two seperate files.. one with 1.6 GB and the second one is 0.4GB.. link those two files in access and working fine.. after importing those files, I checked the size of the database and it was only 1,2 MB

i'm wondering it was just linking the file.. confused.. :think:

OBP
12-18-2008, 04:55 AM
I have come across that message when trying to Import or Link to a folder that contains Contacts, it did nor recognise the Folder as a File.
Perhaps the 2gb limit upset it in some way.