PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Disable X and Stop Shutdown

EricM
03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
High everyone,
I am new to this and would like to know if this is even possible.
I am trying to disable the x button in a Citrix ICA Window. I would like to do this on client side but if need be I can put something in the users termserv login script or even run something on the server.

Secondly I would like to be able to check to see if a Citrix Client is running if someone tries to shutdown or logoff the local pc. If Citrix is running then I would like it to pause the shutdown and inform the user to log out of Citrix. This would be on the same principal when you have a Office App open when trying to shutdown. The proccess stops and tells you to close the Office app first.

The first one I have tried using the different snipplets (if that is the correct term) found on the web and using a FindWindow Function and that didn't work. I used the code from the MSDN site (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818361) as a guide to disabling the close button.

If this is possible could someone please guide me in the right direction.

Right now from trying this using the code above I believe the problem is that I cannot control a menu item on a window that is not created by script. In other words because the Citrix Window is created befor or after the script runs it cannot modify the menu. I am thinking I need to open the Citrix window from within the module itself to accomplish this.

Ken Puls
03-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi Eric,

A couple of questions for you.. Are you the systems administrator on your Citrix server?

Rather than spend the time trying to work this out, why not just set the properties of the Citrix connection so that when a client disconnects their session (either via the X or by shutting down their PC), it is automatically disconnected, or disconnected after about 15 minutes.

I've found that the above works very well without having to code anything.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but just a thought...

EricM
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Yes
The problem is on the disconnected session they leave open another program called Syteline. Well what happens is even if I have Citrix clear the disconnect after a time period the process from the db connection is still active. Therefor when we run rebalance utilities and nightly tasks the databases end up hanging during the shutdown process. We have tried everything from Citrix Settings to db Utils to try to help fix this situation. The only true way is to make sure the users log off properly and something like this would definately be a help. Definately not fix but help will the problem.

Ken Puls
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Hmm. Okay, that makes sense. I've never tried this, but I'm assuming that we'd have to leverage an API call to see if the Citrix process is running. I'm at home right now, but I think it's ICA.exe. I'll see if I can find anything tomorrow.

Ken Puls
03-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey there,

The process name is actually wfica32.exe

I'm going to try and call in a VB programmer, though, as the only way I could really even hope to control this is through Excel, which wouldn't really work.

mark007
03-26-2005, 08:51 AM
To stop windows closing and get tell them to logout of Citrix create a vb app that starts using a sub main then loads but doesn't show the form. Then within the form place the following code:

Option Explicit

Const TH32CS_SNAPHEAPLIST = &H1
Const TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS = &H2
Const TH32CS_SNAPTHREAD = &H4
Const TH32CS_SNAPMODULE = &H8
Const TH32CS_SNAPALL = (TH32CS_SNAPHEAPLIST Or TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS Or TH32CS_SNAPTHREAD Or TH32CS_SNAPMODULE)
Const TH32CS_INHERIT = &H80000000
Const MAX_PATH As Integer = 260
Private Type PROCESSENTRY32
dwSize As Long
cntUsage As Long
th32ProcessID As Long
th32DefaultHeapID As Long
th32ModuleID As Long
cntThreads As Long
th32ParentProcessID As Long
pcPriClassBase As Long
dwFlags As Long
szExeFile As String * MAX_PATH
End Type
Private Declare Function CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Lib "Kernel32" (ByVal lFlags As Long, ByVal lProcessID As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function Process32First Lib "Kernel32" (ByVal hSnapShot As Long, uProcess As PROCESSENTRY32) As Long
Private Declare Function Process32Next Lib "Kernel32" (ByVal hSnapShot As Long, uProcess As PROCESSENTRY32) As Long
Private Declare Sub CloseHandle Lib "Kernel32" (ByVal hPass As Long)

Function CheckProcess(strEXEName As String) As Boolean
Dim hSnapShot As Long, uProcess As PROCESSENTRY32, r As Long
'Takes a snapshot of the processes and the heaps, modules, and threads used by the processes
hSnapShot = CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPALL, 0&)
'set the length of our ProcessEntry-type
uProcess.dwSize = Len(uProcess)
'Retrieve information about the first process encountered in our system snapshot
r = Process32First(hSnapShot, uProcess)

Do While r > 0
If LCase$(strEXEName) = _
LCase$(Left$(uProcess.szExeFile, IIf(InStr(1, uProcess.szExeFile, Chr$(0)) > 0, InStr(1, uProcess.szExeFile, Chr$(0)) - 1, 0))) _
Then CheckProcess = True
'Retrieve information about the next process recorded in our system snapshot
r = Process32Next(hSnapShot, uProcess)
Loop
'close our snapshot handle
CloseHandle hSnapShot
End Function

Private Sub Form_QueryUnload(Cancel As Integer, UnloadMode As Integer)
If UnloadMode = vbAppWindows Then
If CheckProcess("wfica32.exe") Then
MsgBox "Please logout of citrix!"
Cancel = 1
End If
End If
End Sub

The app can then be loaded on start up as part of the login script and will run in the background.

To remove the close button you need to use a combinaion of FindWindow, GetWindowLong and SetWindowLong.

Use FindWindow to get a handle to the window. Now use:

Private Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "SetWindowLongA" _
(ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long, ByVal dwNewLong As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function GetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowLongA" _
(ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long

Private Const GWL_STYLE As Long = (-16)
Private Const WS_SYSMENU = &H80000

Sub RemoveClose(hWnd as Long)

Dim lngCurrent As Long
lngCurrent = GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE)
lngCurrent=lngCurrent AND (NOT WS_SYSMENU)
Dim ret As Long
ret = SetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_STYLE, lngCurrent)
End Sub

This will also remove the maximise and minimise boxes though.

Hope that helps.

:)

Ken Puls
03-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Mark,

Just in case I haven't told you lately... You rule! :thumb

EricM
03-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Thank You very much. IT works great. I just need to figure out how to get the program not responding message from poping up during the shutdown if the wfica32.exe is running. But this does exactly what I wanted it to do. I am glad I stumbled across this board and found such a helpful group of people.

mark007
03-28-2005, 11:54 PM
No problem - glad I could help!

:)

Ken Puls
03-29-2005, 12:02 AM
I just need to figure out how to get the program not responding message from poping up during the shutdown if the wfica32.exe is running.

I'm thinking that you need a message to berate your user instead! :rofl: If they got that far, doesn't that mean that they didn't log off properly?

EricM
03-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes I know. The message is just something I noticed and wanted to see if I could iliminate it myself. I am not concerned with it because users shouldn't get that far.

EricM
04-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Well I figured out how to do this by editing a dll with RH. I was able to edit the popup screen that says you are about to disconnect and delete the ok option. Then I editi the text to say something like Please log out properly. Now whenever they click the X or menu close it pops up the message and they can only cancel the disconnect. If they altF4 it will bring up the logout screen. SO they are not upset about a no responce X click and we are happy because it is a polite way to remind them not to disconnect.

Thanks Everyone

nexiodts
11-17-2005, 11:11 AM
hi,

i don't know how i implementing this script. could any one help me.

best regards oliver:dunno