PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Lookup value in seperate workbook

EricM
03-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I am trying to accomplish the following
When a user selects a value from a dropdown box in workbook one is it possible to use that value to lookup a value in workbook two and display that value in a cell in workbook one?

The catch to it is the lookup would have to report a value from a seperate cell then what the lookup value is. Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

Workbook one has a dropdown menu that has these values
rc1
rc2
rc3
rc4
When the user selects one of the values that value is used to lookup a cell on workbook two in colum A and report the value in colum b for that row to a cell in the workbook one.

Zack Barresse
03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi Eric,

Is the Dropdown menu from Data Validation? If so, what address? If not, how exactly did you create it?

The second workbook must be open for this, so that would be part of a solution. You can get it from a closed workbook, but sometimes it's more troublesome than just having code open the book, get the value, then close it again (it doesn't take that long).

Also, what do you want to trigger this event? A change in a cell? How often will you be using it?

Anne Troy
03-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Eric, maybe it's me needing sleep, but that's pretty tough to follow. Do you think you could load your files, or sample files? Just zip them together. And hit Go Advanced below the reply box.

EricM
03-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Yes I will load the files I have into a zip file and you can see what I am trying to do.

EricM
03-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Ok this is more complicated then I thought. I just found out that after I lookup the value in the second workbook I need to use a odbc driver to pull information from a progress database in input that information into a different feild.

Basiclly what he wanted was a configurator with the current pricing from Syteline.

I'll keep you all updated but I guess I can say this is solved since it is to much to ask for at this time.

Zack Barresse
03-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I'll keep you all updated but I guess I can say this is solved since it is to much to ask for at this time.

It's not necessarily too much to ask! Just remember, if another questions arises that is an Access question, be sure and post such a question in the Access forum. We (VBAX) have often helped users with a project from start to completion, so it's not a big deal. We are here to help! :yes