PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What Is VB IDE?

Cyberdude
03-22-2005, 09:31 PM
I've just become aware of VB IDE and I have no idea what it is and how it differs from VBA (which I think is what I use). Can anyone give me a terse (500 words) description?

Paleo
03-22-2005, 09:35 PM
VB IDE = Visual Basic Integrated Development Environment

In other words, its the place where you code (put) your VBA codes. Its accessible by pressing Alt + F11.

Steiner
03-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Paleo, he wanted 500(!) words! I don't get near that number even if I count your signature, too.

Cyberdude: VB IDE could also mean the editor of Visual Basic 6, that one just looks like the VBA Editor in Office, but can create stand-alone executables.

Paleo
03-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Hi Steiner,

yes I noticed that but what could I do? 500 words is too much.

But, he can always read this about the VB 6 IDE too http://www.devdos.com/vb/lesson1.shtml

Steiner
03-23-2005, 07:00 AM
:omg2: , I forgot a ton of :funnyashe in my last post, I hope you did not take that seriously:mkay ?

Paleo
03-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Of course not! You are still very welcome!

Cyberdude
03-23-2005, 11:59 AM
OK, you guys, you KNOW I was joking when I said "500 words".
But now I'm still confused. I gather that there are two VB editors: VB IDE for VB(??) and VBE for Office VBA. And tears came to my eyes when Steiner said that IDE can write code that is standalone executable. I often wondered how to write a program for my computer that does not require Excel to execute it. Years ago I used to write code in various compiler and interpreter languages, but they all seemed to have disappeared. Now you tell me that IDE is standalone without first initiating Excel. Terrific. How does a gent such as myself go about using IDE? Where is it? How do I start it up?

JonPeltier
03-23-2005, 12:12 PM
The VB6 programming environment and the Office VBA are both referred to as the VBIDE, and they look very similar. But you cannot build a stand alone program in the VBA version of the IDE, because it supports VBA development. You would need to acquire VB or Visual Studio.

Much of the world has moved to VB.Net, which is a different animal from VB6. You can still develop for Office using VB.Net, but it's not as easy as using VB6. I use VB6 a fair deal to help with Office programming, and I expect to keep using it for many years, even though Microsoft has downgraded their support of it. I'm sure you could still find VB6 or VS6 for sale online; try Froogle or eBay.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Paleo
03-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Well, sorry to tell you that Steiner was refering to the VB 6 IDE when he said it can write a standalone executable. From Office IDE using VBA you cant.

If you want a free compiler for standalone executables using VB.NET which as similar as VBA you can find. You may start using Sharp Develop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/GetFile.aspx?What=Setup