PDA

View Full Version : Problem with multiple users accessing same workbook.

amarsha4
01-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Hello,

I have several spreadsheets each representing a department in the hospital where I work. Each of these files contains information about each cleaning post within the department. e.g.

POST NAME HOURS
101 J SMITH 37.5
102 (vacant)37.5
103 A BROWN 15.5

I wanted to combine all the files into one workbook, and to include a summary sheet which, with some VBA coding would list all vacant posts, total all hours etc.

The problem I have is that the files are on a shared drive and are accessed by four managers, so if two are trying to edit at the same time, they cannot.

Since under normal circumstances each manager would only need to edit the sheets for their departments I thought I could keep the files seperate and simply reference cells from these seperate files in the summary sheet (which would only be viewed by the managers, not edited), but I can't find how to reference cells from a seperate, unopened workbook.

I would prefer to try to get the first solution working (seperate sheets in same book) but if this is not possible then I'll still need help trying it the second way (all seperate workbooks).

Much obliged,

Andy

CreganTur
01-08-2009, 07:55 AM
You can reference it by creating a link using this format:

=('FilePath'!$column$row)

Filepath is the actual filepath of your spreadsheet (needs to be complete, including the .xls format indentifier). Column is the column letter you want, and row is the row number you want. The symbols are needed!

HTH:thumb

amarsha4
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Thank you, that's great. I have another problem that isn't quite related to VBA, but you may be able to help:

The drive letter assigned to the shared drive changes depending on which user is logged on.

For me it's (Z:) but for others it's (Y:) or (S:). Is there any way to force this drive letter to be the same for each user?

P.S. I love your signature.

CreganTur
01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
If the drive letter changes, then you are dealing with a shared network drive. You get around this by referencing the drive's real name which does not change. As you have already noticed, the drive letter can change from computer to computer.

When you open My Computer you should be able to see the network drive's real name. You reference it by having two slashes "\\" then the network drive's server name, then the drive name (if there is one) and then the rest of your filepath.

If you have trouble finding the server name or network drive's name, then talk to someone at your IT department- they should be able to help you.