PDA

View Full Version : corrupted file?

JSC
01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but...

I'm running Office 2000 under XP. This morning a macro that had worked just fine last night caused a "Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close." box.

All macros that invoke UserForms trigger the problem, and trying to launch the VB editor with Alt-F11 triggers the problem too. Macros that don't involve UserForms seem to work just fine.

I've removed and reinstalled Office. I've also renamed all the .dll's in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6 from .dll to .bad and run Office Setup to Repair Office. All to no avail.

My guess is that there is one file corrupted, but which one?

I hope I don't have to reinstall Windows.

fumei
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
"trying to launch the VB editor with Alt-F11 triggers the problem too."

oh-oh...that is bad.

I can not offer any real suggestions, but it sounds worse than just one file corrupted. It sounds like something nasty has got on your system.

Can you get to the VBE through the menu (Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor)? Or is just Alt-F11 affected?

Is there ANYTHING in your Startup folder, both

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup (or whatever)

and

C:Documents and Settings/username/blahblah/Startup

JSC
01-12-2009, 02:54 PM
"trying to launch the VB editor with Alt-F11 triggers the problem too."

oh-oh...that is bad.

I can not offer any real suggestions, but it sounds worse than just one file corrupted. It sounds like something nasty has got on your system.

Can you get to the VBE through the menu (Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor)? Or is just Alt-F11 affected?

Both the menu and the Alt key are affected in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, but not, as it turns out, in Access, where both work.

Is there ANYTHING in your Startup folder, both

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup (or whatever)

and

C:\Documents and Settings/username/blahblah/Startup

Nothing in Program Files. In Documents and Settings there was Finereader6.sprint.dot, which has been there for over a year. Removing it didn't help. Funny thing is, it works, even though it contains a dialog.

Paul_Hossler
01-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Were there any system updates before it stopped working?

Try opening Word using /safe or /a or /r command line parameters and see

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210565

Might have to completely remove and re-install office.

I've done that a few times and it's not easy, unless you've kept a copy of the Service Releases

Paul