PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Different areas to be unpdated by different usergroups

bacon
03-24-2005, 05:07 AM
Good afternoon and a Happy Easter..

I have a spreadsheet that will be used and updated by 2 different departments at my firm. Now what is required is when department A opens the spreadsheet they can only amend/input into certain areas of the sheet and when Department B opens again they can only input into other areas.

is this possible??

Many thanks

Bacon

Regouin
03-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Do they need to do their input on the same sheet? or can they use different sheets? And when it has to be on the same sheet you can consider making 3 sheets (1 for the input of dep A, 1 for the input of dep B, 1 for showing the combined deps and make that one permanently protected.
With usernames and passwords you can easily hide sheet B for dep A and sheet A for dep B. This can be very easily accomplished with VBA.
Let me know what exactly you want.

frank

Anne Troy
03-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Bacon: Do you know that 2003 provides these functionalities?
Just wanted to say that in case you're planning on upgrading any time soon.

bacon
03-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Do they need to do their input on the same sheet? or can they use different sheets? And when it has to be on the same sheet you can consider making 3 sheets (1 for the input of dep A, 1 for the input of dep B, 1 for showing the combined deps and make that one permanently protected.
With usernames and passwords you can easily hide sheet B for dep A and sheet A for dep B. This can be very easily accomplished with VBA.
Let me know what exactly you want.

frank

this sounds like a good idea.....

how do I go about using usernames and passwords to hide sheets...

thanks for your help...:thumb

Bacon: Do you know that 2003 provides these functionalities?
Just wanted to say that in case you're planning on upgrading any time soon.

2003!!! my company will upgrade to that in about 2011 ;)

Anne Troy
03-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Bacon: You *should* try a search in the KB. :)

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=33

bacon
03-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Bacon: You *should* try a search in the KB. :)

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=33

apologise....

that is ideal...

:friends:
Thanks

Iain

Anne Troy
03-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Don't apologize. :)

Is this solved, then? When and if it is, go to Thread Tools at the top of the page and mark it solved.